Tranny issues, sometimes stays in first gear, now mostly no OD.

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
PMAC/ new century trans 5 years old, 19,000 miles.
Trans brake and 9/11 convertor.

I havent beat on it too hard, but something is definitely wrong cause alot of the time it sticks in gears, and wont upshift.

Setting the meth pump the other day on the tranny brake, the trans temp never exceeded 170°... This is when the trans started to act up. I brought it up on 5psi of boost probably 10 times over 30 minutes to set the pump. Brought it to 5psi for 2 seconds and kept the car running the entire time.

A few days later it started acting funny.
Actually this winter when the trans is cold, it takes longer to go into OD, but always hit OD.

A few days ago while leaving a resturant, it stayed in first gear for 300 feet, rpms were around 3800 and wouldnt shift to second. Hit the stop light, drove off fine shifted thru 3rd no problem.

This morning, going to work, i drove 3 miles on the highway and the car would not shift into OD even up to 85mph, shifted 1-2-3 just fine never hit OD. RPMS were up on the convertor at 3600 at higher MPH, tried manually locking the convertor and the TCC would not lock in third....TCC switch always works...

Almost pulled over to check the TV cable, slowed down for traffic, traffic picked up and continued 17 more miles down the road in OD with the TCC locked.
Got to work.

This evening, leaving work, wouldnt shift to 3rd gear, pull over and shut the car off. Pull TV cable off, still has plenty of tension and is hooked inside trans, no binding..
Drove down the road and immediately the car drove back to normal, 1-2-3 to OD and convertor locked at normal setting.
Traffic slows down to 40 on the highway, car wont upshift to OD,

This is where im thinking, OK, car hasnt been WOT for 3 weeks :( and since i havent floored it the trans starts acting funny.

I floor the car for about 1 second at 45mph and drive away all the way home in OD and the convertor is locked from the computer just like normal :confused:

Trans worked fine when driving hard when the meth kit was working fine, now i cant get into boost cause the meth pump and controller, now having trans issues.

So, drove it again tonight, no OD on the highway, i tried again to lock the convertor in third at 70MPH and the rpms still are up and no OD...

What in the world could it be?
Low line pressure keeping it from upshifting?

TV cable isnt bottomed out/ too tight.. Actually havent touched it in 5 years.
Been using type F fluid.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
I floor the car for about 1 second at 45mph and drive away all the way home in OD and the convertor is locked from the computer just like normal :confused:

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
BW

Moral of that story...... floor your car often! :biggrin:

Seriously..... sounds like trash in the valve body to me causing some of the valves to stick sometimes..... pulled my vb out on a 700r4 many times cause clutch trash had got in the tranny fluid and mucked up the valves in the valvebody...... not sure if that is your case..... but it sounds like it.....

I will tell you it was a PITA to get straightened out on my 700.....

HTH

This morning 6:00am before starting the car, i floored it about 5 times to see if it made any difference.
Car drove normal, hit OD right where it used to, but the TCC didnt lock with the chip or the manual switch till about 2 miles into the trip.

This evening 5:30pm before starting the car, i floored it twice, and reset the T.V. cable. The trans works normal, the TCC locked right where the chip is set, and drove home with 40° AC blowing in my face :cool:

I dont know whats up with the trans, im sure your right, its got some debris in the valve body.
Im thinking of going to Jiffy Lube to have em hook the trans fill machine to flush all the old fluid out of the trans and convertor while its running.

Gotta call a buddy of mine see if his shop has one instead of going to Jiffy Lube...

BW