TPS & transmission shifting?

ShawnR

Fixer of crap..
I drive the car to work today for its first real road trip in probably the last 10 years. I had the trans rebuilt last winter. I don't remember the code, but it was out of an 85 GN.

Shifting is what I would call erratic, most of the time it shifts completely normal, but sometimes it is probably close to 3500 - 4000 (by ear) before it shifts. That would be fine if my foot was in it, but this is just normal light throttle.

Also, my Check Engine light is on with the following codes:

21 - TPS High
23 - MC Solenoid Open
41 - No Distributor Reference signal
44 - Electronic spark control
55 - Faulty O2 sensor (it is probably 25 years old)

I am picking up a new O2 sensor on the way home from work, but would any of those other codes cause the shifting to be so varied?

I will check wiring (it is crap) when I get home and verify the TPS voltage. Will also check the TV cable to be sure it isn't hung up or sticking.

The Torque Converter Clutch would be effected by the TPS reading for sure. But at TPS High, I think it wouldn't ever lock. Is this an '82 or '83 ECM?

I'd start by resetting the TV cable. Push the button, shove it in and then the throttle cable all the way to the floor.

No overdrive or TC lockup on the way home. I remembered that I have my Monitor 85 in the trunk and hooked it up at the side of the road.
TPS reads:

5v at no throttle and varies between 2.0 to 4.5 as I go through the rest of the range. That is according to the Monitor. I am going to verify with a voltmeter at the TPS itself, but I am guessing it died. I did adjust it when I rebuilt the carb over the winter and it was spot on at .77 volts with the choke on.

I am hoping that is the cause of no overdrive too. According to the tool, the ECM (original 1983) isn't even trying to send the signal to lockup or go to 4th gear.

Any TPS units to avoid? Autozone has the Duralast one in stock for $34.

Edit: Ordered the Duralast from autozone and will pick up tomorrow. Installed O2 sensor and am cleaning up wiring. I did a REALLY CRAPPY wiring job in my early 20s.

Last edited: