Top Sekret Teknology!

I can literally hit the Faball plant with a rock from my shop, I pass it every day,the plant is still there and in full operation. I dont know what they make there now but I doubt it is bowling balls. Corner Stables took the rib joint out of the bowling alley but it is still rocking on RT40 East.

They still make bowling balls there.. I forget what company is running their production out of there.. Ebonite I think.

Next time Im up that way, Ill have to hit up the rib place again.. those ribs were damn good.

I wasn't around for any of this stuff, but it's really intersting to read. Good thread!

I can literally hit the Faball plant with a rock from my shop, I pass it every day,the plant is still there and in full operation. I dont know what they make there now but I doubt it is bowling balls. Corner Stables took the rib joint out of the bowling alley but it is still rocking on RT40 East.

Bill, where is that rib joint and what is it called? They look delicious.

Remember the "Vaned inlet hard pipe" that was supposed to flow more air to the compressor that KB sold.

I have all my old issues of Kirbans "Grand News" monthly letters.

I came across this cleaning the attic a few weeks ago. Its pretty cool finding some of the original go fast stuff from years gone by.:smile:

Attachments

• PTE 1.jpg
    PTE 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 554
  • PTE 2.jpg
    PTE 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 543
  • PTE box.jpg
    PTE box.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 531
If only that thing would have worked. I burnt up several of those.

This thread is crazy

I am so lucky not have had any money back then because all of the junk you guys are posting about I had a check mark next to it on my books
Kirban
Casper’s
Kenne bell
Zero to sixty
Bowling green customs
And a few others.
Scary stuff now I definitely won’t buy anything with out getting past you guys

I came across this cleaning the attic a few weeks ago. Its pretty cool finding some of the original go fast stuff from years gone by.:smile:

I remember how you had to set the "hi limit" and I sure didnt like it!:biggrin:

i was digging around and found several issues of the turbo magazines. from 87-91 that was gave to me yrs ago.

And even more:
These pics were TOP SECRET many years ago!! (Not kidding)
These are the "pinned deck" development on 8445 castings, to beef up the intake side of the combustion chamber/deck. This was developed by Dale Robertson. (genious) We did this about 16+ years ago when there weren't injectors that would fuel the engines. (I replaced head gaskets like most people change oil.) We thought it was caused by the VERY thin deck in that area. Now, we just dump fuel to them and the gaskets hold fine. It was alot of work to do right. But it DID help the gasket problems significantly. I would pre-load the deck .002" in that area (which is RIGHT were the fire ring on a stock gasket falls) I did this when I was running stock injectors, stock turbo, stock intercooler and went 11.77@112mph back in 1991. Man, those were the days!!:biggrin: Martyrs we were!!!:D I can recall long conversations with Conley (he said that 112mph on a stock turbo was IMPOSSIBLE. I DID have a GREAT set of heads on the car, though!:D ) Jay Carter (about 7th injector and alcohol systems....as a matter of fact one of his alcohol systems was JUST removed last month-It was highly modified, but it ran 10.70's on pump gas.) and a host of other Martyrs (Don Kieger, Phil from ATR, Terry Ryan.....and the list goes on and on.......Wouldn't it be fun to take the technology of today, and run a pump gas car into the low tens with a stock block, back 15 years ago?

I love this thread some good memories for sure. I have a set of Dale's super secret heads. They are actually the heads Terry won TSE with back in the early 90's and they are definitly very trick with 1.84/1.60 valves custom T&D's etc.

After attending the GS Nationals in 1989 and 1990, I seem to recall also hearing about liquid intercoolers and saw the the KB cool tube and an Eastern "Cold Box." That summer me and a chemical engineer took two transmission coolers and mounted them in series on the front and back of a stock intercooler. We then connected a bottle of a chemical similar to liquid nitrogen and basically froze the outside of the intercooler.

Yes it worked, and I had terrible trouble keeping the P235's on the pavement. After a few blasts with it we were going to take it to the track. First I had to do my "pre-race" routine of removing my K&N cone air filter from the gold anodized ATR cold air box (pre-dated the fiberglass box you guys speak of) and soaking it (in the special ATR cleaner [manufactured by K&N), change oil/filter, run a bottle of top engine cleaner through the motor (killing all birds within a half mile), pressure clean the injectors (anyone remember Sutton Engineering?) and finally to remove the intercooler, fill it with gasoline and shake it around to clean out any soot buildup. As luck would have it the gasoline was leaking out everywhere when I tried to fill it. The intense cold had cracked several fins!

Even unluckier for me...replacement intercoolers were several hundred dollars from the general. That killed the project real quick! I have a picture laying around somewhere. If I find it I'll post.

Incidently, the fan on/off speed sensitive switch that was behind the grille was from ATR. The original KB manual fan switch wired the battery straight to the fan (no relay), which overheated and started a small fire in my GN back in 88. Was it Lawrence Conley that marketed the industrial bleeder valve (a plumbing on/off valve) that didn't back-out like an aquarium valve?

Hey, Jumper valves were KEWL back in the day! :cool:

I love this thread some good memories for sure. I have a set of Dale's super secret heads. They are actually the heads Terry won TSE with back in the early 90's and they are definitly very trick with 1.84/1.60 valves custom T&D's etc.

Ya! Dale did some VERY cool stuff. Still does, but just with Lightnings, now. His heads are a work of art. MAN did he have an amazing amount of work in those heads! Moving valve centerlines and changing valve angles. Custom rockers, and more than I can recall. I've held those heads in my hands. Glad to see they are still breathing. Next time I talk with him, I'll let him know. He does still read this forum from time to time.

What, exactly, did that device do for you?
I think these old teknologies are very interesting. :)

Hahaha.. okay.. SOMEONE has to post a picture of the TorqueMaster.. I KNOW someone out there has one at least laying in a box if its not still on their car. THAT was the highest profit part ever sold for a Buick I'm pretty sure.
You mean, the TORKMASTER! "A Revolution in Electronic Transmission Control"!

Attachments

• torkmaster2.jpg
    torkmaster2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 610
Found a couple of items of interest that have been locked away in the vault I thought I would post.

injectordriver.jpg

Inline injector driver box for running low ohm injectors on the stock ECM. Circa 1989-1991ish. Guy local that was into Buicks at the time built that for me.

knockdetector.jpg

Prototype knock detector like the one Kirban used to sell. I think that's the first one ever built that had the multi light stuff in it. Same guy that built the injector adapter above built this. Circa late 80s.

spacer.jpg

Crazy plenum spacer I had done back in the early 90s. Most people dont know this but I used to supply Kirban and some other companies with spacers.

If I run across any more stuff from back in the day, Ill post it up.

Its a piece of micarte' The same stuff used in mills and plants on temp. electrical panels. Being in concrete for a living, we make floats out of it. Idestructable. Have known others to use it for spacers. (carbs) Ever a problem? I know in a later reply they talk about the red bleeding, Fiberglass resign melting? Comes in a few colors. I believe black is the hardest one.