Timimg chain ?

JRGN

Ok people, help me out here I am starting to put my motor together and bought a dbl roller timing chain (melling) from a well known vendor and slid it on and there is a little bit of slack, from what I have read is that the chain will stretch even more once it is broken in, I don't want that, what other chains do you all recomend, I see one is the dynagear and the other is cloyes any others. help since I want to put this motor together by this weekend. Jr.

Loose T/C??

Jr, you are right on the slop after breakin. Some of the chains are "prestressed" and have little to none, others will have a considerable amt.
If you have had the engine line bored, then most likely you will need an "undersized" chain.. actually it has an over sized gear that takes up the lost C/L distance of the cam to crank.
There are various sizes available in the ROLMASTER line of chains.

If it's a street engine, then the GM set w/ a new tensioner is a good bet for about the next 50,000 miles of driving!!;) ;)

stock type single with steel gears, new damper (tensioner). any name brand should do the trick.

Stock gears in either steel or nylon gears, the stock nylon worked
for a 100k or better, and replace the cam bolts along with the
rubber damper. Ron

Turbo GN and myself replaced mine with a Dynagear. Went on super tight and snug. I would be cautious of replacing your stocker with another nylon gear, especially if your going to add and upgrade your bolt on's.

We also replaced the tensioner, spring, and water pump while we were in there. Everything came from the Zone, except the tensioner and spring combo. Those came from the dealership...for around 4 bucks for both. And don't forget the cam button.

HTH
Erik

Not sure nylon gears are available anymore. Factory replacement is metal, I think, these days...should be good for close to a 100 k and maybe more.

Thanks, talked to Chuck this morning and discussed the chain, decided to go with the stock replacement and it is tight even without the tensioner but still going to put it on there ;) now I can get back to finish building the motor, if I have any more ?s the list will be the first place I ask. Thanks again Jr. :D

You know the part most call the tensioner is actually a dampener. My guess is it used to dampen noise more than anything else. Maybe it helps with false knocks too?

Tensioner/Dampener

The parts manual calls it a dampener. The Buick shop manual calls it a tensioner on one page, a dampener on another page. Should we vote? It's not on the tension side of the chain, I suppose it could keep the chain from flopping on the slack side, but I don't think the little spring is strong enough to really do any "tensioning". It's not a very exciting part, or subject. Not like the power plate, for example.