Time to upgrade my rear drums!

GNbythebay

I recently added alot more power to my car and the brakes are just not up for the task anymore. I seen conversion kits online for around $500. I am wondering is there a cheaper option. I read that you could use a chevy blazer brake system but I am not sure if that is correct. Is the kits they sell online the best bet or could I take a brake system off another car and use that. I am good with my hands so even if I need to do some modifications to make something work I am open to ideas!

Upgrade the front brakes first. That is where you will get the best results because the majority is done there. Blazer, Wilwood or Baer are your best options. Baer being the best.

I am probably going to get roasted for this but it is my opinion. Drum brakes are more efficient and better than disc if they are adjusted and work properly. Think about it, how much surface area comparing the 2?? Why do the big rigs still use them in the rears?? This is only for the rear, not the front. Begin the flame job.

I am probably going to get roasted for this but it is my opinion. Drum brakes are more efficient and better than disc if they are adjusted and work properly. Think about it, how much surface area comparing the 2?? Why do the big rigs still use them in the rears?? This is only for the rear, not the front. Begin the flame job.

You are correct... for the first stop.

If you're going to make more than one in short succession, disc quickly outperforms because it sheds heat better.

As for $500 being too much for the OP, if that's the case, stay with the drums. You are not going to put a disc solution on the rear that outperforms the drums for less than ~$800.