Tig welding purge block from scrap copper

Mike T

I needed another purge block for an upcoming project so I'm making one from scrap.

IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

Your going to weld copper?

I've been doing a lot of stainless lately and the purge block is to flood the back side of the weld with argon.... also the copper helps pull the heat out of thin stainless. I will end up tig brazing a couple of tubes to the copper purge block with silicon bronze.

Oh gotcha. I was going to make a copper block with a handle to prevent blowing through my thin floor pans when I welded them in. I didn't bother because I would have needed another Persian to hold it under the car while I was welding from the top. Very cool idea good luck.

I bought this solid piece for back up on long thin stainless edges. It measures 8 x 26 x 1/2 and I'm ashamed to say what it cost...now I know why crack heads will steal your out side AC unit.:eek:

IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG

Oh gotcha. I was going to make a copper block with a handle to prevent blowing through my thin floor pans when I welded them in. I didn't bother because I would have needed another Persian to hold it under the car while I was welding from the top. Very cool idea good luck.
Burning through to the copper will look bad on the underside of those floor pans. Just take your time and trigger it in. A nice and tight joint always helps.