This is embarrasing...need serious advice

bucky

Ok guys I need some help.I took my 87 TR to the track and it definatly didnt do what i was hoping for.Basically my best time on an 1/8 mile track was 9.8 at 75mph.I was really embarrased as a few of my friends were there and one in his basically stock Mustang that tore me up.Before I went I did the complete "spring cleaning" almost verbatum with the website and added a 93 chip.A friend scanned the car and it has no detonation.The boost is the stock 13#.The car has tiny 215 tires with good tread and a non-posi rear.My best 60 foot time was a 2.57.I experimented with everything.All kinds of air pressure to almost flat,different launch techniques with no boost to 5 lbs...all to no avail.Just horrible times.Same crappy 60 foot times.A good friend of mine who is quite experianced racing ran it and told me until I get some decent rubber and a posi it will never hook.Ok before I drop the money on all this I need to know if this is going to get me where I need to be or if this is what these cars basically run.I am not expecting to run 12's right from the start but i definatly think the car should run better than this in the eighth(which is probably 15's in the quarter) No flames please just good advice as I am trying not to embarrass the Buick banner to bad.Thanks.

Lower (or raise) the tire pressure to between 20 and 24 psi. Get a right side airbag. At the track (bring an a 12V aircompressor) inflate it to 25-35 lbs. This will partially compensate for the lack of posi. Your car will have a pronounced lean to it, but that the price you pay for not having a posi.

You 60fts should go down into the 2.1 - 2.0 area with no other changes. For More than this, you will need sticky tires.

75 mph is about right for a bone stock TR. A better exhaust (is your cat gutted) should get you up around 79 mph at 14 psi of boost.

For a launch technique, hold the highest boost (or lowest vacuum) that you can mash it and not spin afterwards. You need to be able to mash it. An airbag will make this possible.

Get the 215's off the rear and get at least a 255, drag radials would be even better. You can leave the 215's on the front.

"Stock boost of 13" :confused:

I'm sure all the posts above me have good points....but stock boost is 16psi. Keep that scan tool close by and raise that boost some, and with an air bag and those strategies outlined above, it will make a difference. 245/60/15's worked well on my TR and no posi....

You should have much better results with some drag radials as others have advised. Other thing I would mention is maybe practice some on your launch somewhere safe like a country road. A track with decent prep will hook much better than any road, so that is something to look foward to. If you have stock rims and don't want the big look on the rear tires, you could go with 235 BFG DRs, I've ran them once with good results. Tim

Originally posted by lburou
"Stock boost of 13" :confused:

I'm sure all the posts above me have good points....but stock boost is 16psi. Keep that scan tool close by and raise that boost some, and with an air bag and those strategies outlined above, it will make a difference. 245/60/15's worked well on my TR and no posi....

FWIW. stock boost is 12.5-13 psi

Donnie

I feel your pain

The only time I took my 2002 T/A I was getting 2.35-2.4 60ft's:eek:
My best friend razzed me hard until he could do no better!

Hey all thanks for the replys and keep them coming.I need to learn as much as possible.I have decided to start with the posi.I have found a complete unit that i will check out this weekend.I am thinking about a spool but this may be more money and i dont like the idea of chirping the tires around turns and low speed manuevers.I am keeping the stock rims to save money but i will try a set of either Nittos or BFGs as suggested.I really dont like the look of 275's on the rear but that seems to be the only size Nitto makes in the 15" rim.I may try the smaller BFGs.Hopefully with these mods i can get the times more around 2.0 in the 60 and lower with practice.I did a leakdown today and everything checked out great.My trap speeds seem to be pretty strong so I am going to say my valve springs are fine.I think if i can get my sixties down i can get the car into the low nines which is probably where these cars should be running.No reason to add more power if i cant put it to the pavement.Plus i need more experience racing with what i got.Keep the advice coming.

You might want to throw a set of drag shocks on the rear maybe some 50/50's. Would be cheap, and should also help 60' times. If you do these things, you will be hooking better so dude you need to turn up the boost big time:eek: Thats going to be the best bang for the buck. Throw in some c16, and turn up the boost (with the scantool handy), and you will pimp slap that stang.

Striker

Mark...what are drag shocks and do they give a decent ride on the street?I just put some new gas shocks back there so I was just wondering.Who makes them?Thanks for the help.Also thinking about taking off the converter this weekend and going crazy on it but i am concerned about passing emissions.

Bucky there are all different kinds of drag shocks, I got mine from Ramchargers and they are lakewood 50/50's I believe. I actually prefer the ride to what was on my car before, but they were worn out. If you just replaced the shocks, you may not want to do that now. Get the airbag for sure, probably want to box the control arms at some point, man Ive got to do that myself. I hate doing suspension stuff, its a bigtime pita but it will pay off on short times. I would definately loose the converter, but we dont have emissions here so I dont know what you might run into on that. I have atr stainless duals with pit bulls, no cat at all but like I said no emissions. Good luck...