TE60......when is it out of breath?

I would go up in turbine. There's not much to be gained going larger on the compressor. Maybe a couple pounds a minute of airflow. If you want to make power above 5000 then more turbine is needed. But then you will need to really have the converter spot on if you want the car to e.t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Bison, that answers my question. Now I have a bit more to chew on.
Still staying mild on a turbo, something that would work with the elbow, what would you recommend and what for a matching converter?

Nigel, what size rear tire are you running? Your mph seems low.
Pronto, a 255/60-15. I know a 275/60 would run better. I have never weighed the car, but assume it is the same as any other stock buick. MPH has always seemed a little low to me for the ET.

Made 462HP/501TQ on a TE60 at around 22 psi (4750RPM HP peak). My testing indicated that the turbine was out of range at that level, with 60+ psi drive pressure. Ported Irons and a 210/215. Car went 6.80 to the 1/8th, but only gained 21 mph out the back.

I have since changed to a 6262 with a garrett .63, but have not had opportunity to put on the dyno.

275/50/15 didn't need to notch frame. Rims are 10" should have bought 8.

IMO - the te60 is a great turbo I've enjoyed it so much I bought the "new technology" 60 from Brian...billet 5957 with Garrett housing. So much fun on the street and pulls hard in 3rd.
Why should you have bought 8 inch rims?

I thought 275 width tires are best on a 10" wide rim?

I only had a scan master an it's been yrs ago with a full weight car with welds 3,770 with me in it . Stock long block went 10.97 with a slipping converter like 119 mph 1.68 60 ft with a 6768

I would go up in turbine. There's not much to be gained going larger on the compressor. Maybe a couple pounds a minute of airflow. If you want to make power above 5000 then more turbine is needed. But then you will need to really have the converter spot on if you want the car to e.t.

Something you can retrofit?

Made 462HP/501TQ on a TE60 at around 22 psi (4750RPM HP peak). My testing indicated that the turbine was out of range at that level, with 60+ psi drive pressure. Ported Irons and a 210/215. Car went 6.80 to the 1/8th, but only gained 21 mph out the back.

I have since changed to a 6262 with a garrett .63, but have not had opportunity to put on the dyno.

Ik I will take heat his but a stage 3 turbine is probably good to 350-400whp. The compressor 59mm is not efficient a higher pr's. Just based off the compressor map I wouldn't run his turbo at high boost on a motor like yours. I wouldn't run it or recommend a te49/te44/tell or anything under 61mm for high boost higher hp applications 3.8 liter

For the life of me, who the fuck would recommend a 58mm/59mm
on a 231 ci motor running good fuel at high boost??? Ever since I've been in the TB's '06ish, everyone recommends them. Sure throw meth at it to cover up the mistake up top. Check your egt's at those levels. There is way better options now a days! I always got a giggle out of that recommendation. Same thing jamming a true .63 on a 6262 to improve spool up.wtf..bandaid..., a 6262 BB with pte housing will spool faster and support much more power.

I would put a Pte 6262 BB on it. That's the best turbo for 80% of us imo. Spools fast and can make 10.3-10.5 power.

I completely agree, I feel pretty confident I got everything I could out of the TE60, and the car ran good numbers on it purely by making good power low in RPM range. With the addition of the 6262 (wish it was a 6266) and a much better set of valvesprings, expect the car can run into the times you have indicated. It was already right there with the TE60.

For the price TE60 and newer equivalent journal bearing turbos are great. I think most purchase them for this reason. Sure a BB billet CEA dual scroll blah blah blah blah turbo would be fantastic. However, not everyone can afford and/or fit their goals.

Ik I will take heat his but a stage 3 turbine is probably good to 350-400whp. The compressor 59mm is not efficient a higher pr's. Just based off the compressor map I wouldn't run his turbo at high boost on a motor like yours. I wouldn't run it or recommend a te49/te44/tell or anything under 61mm for high boost higher hp applications 3.8 liter

For the life of me, who the fuck would recommend a 58mm/59mm
on a 231 ci motor running good fuel at high boost??? Ever since I've been in the TB's '06ish, everyone recommends them. Sure throw meth at it to cover up the mistake up top. Check your egt's at those levels. There is way better options now a days! I always got a giggle out of that recommendation. Same thing jamming a true .63 on a 6262 to improve spool up.wtf..bandaid..., a 6262 BB with pte housing will spool faster and support much more power.

I would put a Pte 6262 BB on it. That's the best turbo for 80% of us imo. Spools fast and can make 10.3-10.5 power.
The stage 3 equipped turbos are the go to for an easy bolt on and big power increase over stock. Fuel pump, wiring, injectors, chip, alky injection or high octane and tires and I'm running low 11's. It's nothing new. You're not getting anywhere near that with a 62 on a stock converter and would have to murder it out of the hole to get enough rpm on a stock converter. FYI Adams engine was over 450whp unlocked and over 480whp locked. It's a TA49 and stock converter. I could easily drive that car to low 11's even in swamp ass air with no prep on a 275 drag radial. With suspension and good air 10's I've been 10.61@127+ on a 60-1 which is 59mm with more turbine. PR over 3:1 because the engine wasn't very efficient. Junk heads, low CR. If you're not running mid 10's with a good set of heads and a 62 you're slow. First time out on a 62 I went 10.23 nothing special either. Anyone could easily duplicate what I did or go even further with a better engine and suspension in better air

Last edited:
You're not getting anywhere near that with a 62 on a stock converter and would have to murder it out of the hole to get enough rpm on a stock converter.

With suspension and good air 10's I've been 10.61@127+ on a 60-1 which is 59mm with more turbine. PR over 3:1 because the engine wasn't very efficient. Junk heads, low CR.

Definitely not 62mm with a stock converter.

That's pushing a 59mm...what were your iats? If boost is dropping off 6-8+# that's the wrong turbo.

FYI Adams engine was over 450whp unlocked and over 480whp locked. It's a TA49 and stock converter.

480whp from a 58mm/t31 wheel .63 housing? What were his iat's and egt's? Thats dangerous. Just curious, why is he running 58mm out of it's efficiency range?

Definitely not 62mm with a stock converter.

That's pushing a 59mm...what were your iats? If boost is dropping off 6-8+# that's the wrong turbo.

It was the wrong turbo? How so? I'm confident I could get 10.30's out of a 60-1.

480whp from a 58mm/t31 wheel .63 housing? What were his iat's and egt's? Thats dangerous. Just curious, why is he running 58mm out of it's efficiency range?

It's dangerous? I'd run it all day long like that and be much more concerned about overheating the transmission or breaking axles or driveshaft than hurting the engine. I'm sure the egt's were quite low with all the inert gas left trapped in the clearance volume and the richer than typical mixture I run to keep peoples engines from melting. He's running it because it came with it and it's more than enough to cover his goals. Additionally going up in turbine and compressor will aggravate mass flow control and lead to potential run away with his internal wastegate.

I've been high 10s 125mph at 3732 lbs with a 49 turbo stock cam ported iron heads with a Garrett.63 housing.egts were in the mid 1300s to low 1400s with supercharger like spool.driven to and from the track and on the street.