Ta downpipe PUCK froze up

Thats what ive been told it was a design problem, ive got the rjc puck already also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Course they will never admit to that, just like the HD rocker arm shafts that are heat treated incorrectly .. But one can correct the F'up on his own... For the money you pay though its BS

Call TA and they should fix that issue.

If you sent me the pipe and cover return shipping, I will replace the puck assembly at no charge.

Will you also cover time, labor , motor damage that was done because of a known design issue they have .. Seems like they have no R&D time on them .. Since your so close with them why dont you run their parts for a while and then give it a stamp of approval

Will you also cover time, labor , motor damage that was done because of a known design issue they have .. Seems like they have no R&D time on them .. Since your so close with them why dont you run their parts for a while and then give it a stamp of approval

I have dealt with some jerks on this board over the years, and you are most certainly one of them?

I did not make the TA pipe, I did not sell the pipe, I was just helping a fellow Buick owner, so why the hell do you need to put your crap out here, and tell me to fix any damage?

Go back to the planet you came from, and take your load of crap with you. :mad:

I have dealt with some jerks on this board over the years, and you are most certainly one of them?

I did not make the TA pipe, I did not sell the pipe, I was just helping a fellow Buick owner, so why the hell do you need to put your crap out here, and tell me to fix any damage?

Go back to the planet you came from, and take your load of crap with you. :mad:

You can call me a jerk when i start supporting companies that sell inferior
Parts and then come up with bullshit reasons for failure.. When in reality they know they have a design issue..

Your the one peddling their shit.. Not me!! All i posted is why don't you do their R&D since you think so highly of them.. That way the consumers aren't the R&D team

True self just keeps coming out in you

WTH? Everyone O.D. on Penis Pills?

Sure are lot of Frikkin Richards on board lately!

You can call me a jerk when i start supporting companies that sell inferior
Parts and then come up with bullshit reasons for failure.. When in reality they know they have a design issue..

You keep confirming you are a jerk?

Name one company here or anywhere has a perfect record of supplying unique and custom parts for our cars?

The difference in companies and vendors is how they deal with their customers when an issue arises.

You can keep on making an ass of yourself, but I am done here!

We are lucky to have the vendors we have. Nick is a standup guy who takes care of his customers. The guy is making brand new absolutely beautiful TTA down pipes for peat sakes! Stuff happens unfortunately. I had a piece come off a timing chain along time ago and almost destroy my motor but I don't blame the vendor. My puck used to stick all the time on my gbody downpipe but that's ok too. I'm just stating that we should be thankfull that we still have buick vendors period 30 years after the car has ceased production.

I've had my RJC pick freeze up. Unfortunately their not maintenance free. the very least every spring in disconnect the actuator. And first come breaks parts changer on it. Frees it up, and doesn't leave any residue to collect dirt.

We are lucky to have the vendors we have. Nick is a standup guy who takes care of his customers. The guy is making brand new absolutely beautiful TTA down pipes for peat sakes! Stuff happens unfortunately. I had a piece come off a timing chain along time ago and almost destroy my motor but I don't blame the vendor. My puck used to stick all the time on my gbody downpipe but that's ok too. I'm just stating that we should be thankfull that we still have buick vendors period 30 years after the car has ceased production.

Dont start that at least we have vendor crap.. Design issues and inferior parts have no place being sold prior to testing.. What i get really pissed about is when they put the blame back to the customer and dont man up.. TA has done this many of time

Last edited:

And dont start me and him and TTA downpipes.. He comes on another board and just buts in and steals the work from another guy that was helping everyone else on the TTA board.. Not cool!!

I've been told that giving them more end play helps keep them moving freely and the carbon build up out of them. I bought the RJC puck kit, but ended up reusing the original parts. Like I said, so far no issues.

Just had a GNX local that had the puck froze with a TA pipe. The 3255 turbo was all in at 32psi lol. Alky saved the over boosting for sure. Anyway had to cut puck assembly off resize and polish.

Last edited:
Has anybody had any problems with there downpipe puck freezing up? Not even 1000 miles on pipe and its frozen.

I have had the same issue with my TA 3.5 pipe.....And after having been around building and driving many of these cars over the years I have a pre-drive mental check-list of things I look at every time my car comes out of the garage to be driven......one of these pre check items is to put a 17mm open end wrench on the flat part of the swing linkage on the puck assembly and rotate it through its range of movement.....this is how I found mine as the effort needed to move the valve had gotten much more so than it had been.

The problem with the waste gate puck assembly is the clearance between the pivot shaft and the
bushing in the DP is too tight which feels fine when the pipe is new and clean and has not been heat cycled...
so when the repair is made you really need to open up the hole size in the bushing about .003-.004 thousands
so the pivoting mechanism can swing freely over time......This is important to do.

So I got the repair kit from TA to make the repair and the work is pretty straight forward and a bit of PITA to remove
the old valve but again not a huge deal......Now the replacement valve assembly is slightly different from
the original valve assembly in the fact that it raises the puck assembly up higher in the flange......so now there is a new problem with the puck assembly raised up....at the bottom of my wastegate hole in the turbine housing the
puck no longer covers it with enough overlap that I am sure it is going to leak and create spool up issues....

So now we have to get a piece of stainless and machine it on the lathe to be a press fit over the new puck valve
to increase its diameter so the raised puck will cover the hole with good overlap.
Once we were satisfied with the fitment we tig welded the ring onto the new puck assembly......
opened up the hole in the bushing for more clearance and then reinstalled the pipe and reset the boost.

My wastgate hole size was only .950" to begin with so its not like the hole was ported improperly,
And it was a good bit of work by the time it was all done. The kit I got from TA used a square drive on the
flat arm to the round shaft which is held on by a threaded button head bolt. I did have to pay for repair kit which
I felt they should cover....my pipe only had 3-400 miles on it but It did not not get installed right way after the
initial purchase so I was past any warranty time frame and I get that.

SO make sure to open the bushing hole size up, double check the puck to WG hole position, and develop
your own pre-flight check list which includes stroking the WG arm assembly. HTH, FBR

The pipe just cost me a whole rebuild turbo and all, it is what it is tho money wasted[emoji35]

This whole tread has blown my mind. I'm not far away from a new moter,turbo and down pipe, among other parts. However everyone can bet there sweet ass this pipe weather a TA ,RJC or whatever will NOT be slapped on a new turbo with out a good going over. If not for this thread it would have been slapped on. So thank you to everyone who chime in on this thread. You may well have save my ass as well as others.

This whole tread has blown my mind. I'm not far away from a new moter,turbo and down pipe, among other parts. However everyone can bet there sweet ass this pipe weather a TA ,RJC or whatever will NOT be slapped on a new turbo with out a good going over. If not for this thread it would have been slapped on. So thank you to everyone who chime in on this thread. You may well have save my ass as well as others.
Go to a quality external gate plumbed off the header before the turbo flange and these problems magically disappear. Not that an external can't fail but there is a lot of r&d in the Tial and Turbosmart product. The construction resists seizing. The boost will be more linear, there's potential power to be had with these, configuring a quality boost controller will really open up the suspension tuning window

Go to a quality external gate plumbed off the header before the turbo flange and these problems magically disappear. Not that an external can't fail but there is a lot of r&d in the Tial and Turbosmart product. The construction resists seizing. The boost will be more linear, there's potential power to be had with these, configuring a quality boost controller will really open up the suspension tuning window

Thank you Brian for your input.