Stripping Chrome off Plastic

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
Is there any way of stripping the chrome off of the head light bezels and other plastic trim that got the factory chrome treatment?

Its been a PIA then I rough the chrome up, and then after driving for a few months, debris has picked away at the black trim paint to reveal specks of chrome underneath.

Any ideas?

I know what you're saying Dan. I get vehicles from NJ all the time with rock chips, stars in the windshield. Does the highway dept use gravel instead of salt in the winter up there? It's amazing how bad it is.

The chrome is a vacuum applied coating so if it can be put on, then it can be stripped off. There are some products out there to consider other than just sandpaper. A spray can of SEM Urethane Bumper Stripper might do the trick. It's for ABS plastic and urethane bumpers to remove paint without harming the substrate. One of the more gentle paint strippers out there. Most any real body shop supply store will carry it. I'm guessing $5-6 a can retail.

Had plastic parts rechromed years ago and they soaked the
parts in a barrel of borax or that is what they told me.It was
mixed with water and just left in the solution.Hope that helps.
John

There are lot's of places that can do the interior (soft) type rechroming. I tried to find a place that would do my tail light bezels and couldn't find one. The exterior chrome coating on plastic is a different process. I was told they could do the "soft" style chrome, but wouldn't guarantee durability when exposed to weather etc.

HTH

Joel

I kind of remember reading somewhere about 30 years ago one way to strip the chrome off of those plastic model kits was Easy-Off oven cleaner. I never tried it but I have removed the clear anodizing off of the windshield and drip moldings with no problems. Eric Fisher

I too have used oven cleaner to strip paint off plastic parts. It works slower than stripper but does not damage plastic. I don't think it will be effective on the exterior chrome pieces though-maybe if you sand the chrome lightly first it will help penetrate and lift it though.