Steadfast securty steering column collar... a must have for any G Body!

Excelent write up and thank you. I've been looking at this myself but you've just convinced me that this is the best idea to protect the car. Good job.

It's starting to grow on me a little. I guess if I powdercoated mine Blue it would not look so bad. Definately a great idea tho.

I've had one for at least 8 or 9 years and I feel that the car is more secure with it on. I also had a flat plate with a threaded hole cut the same size as my Scanmaster and used a bent bolt to fasten the bolt through one of the holes on the top connector. A good sized piece of velcro and the Scanmaster is easy to read and is somewhat less visible to a passerby.

This does work!

I know because someone tried to steal my car a few weeks ago and this stopped them. I dunno how they got in, but at quarter til 3, i was awakened by the car alarm and I had time to figure out it was not a false alarm, and get up and get dressed and then go outside and he jumped out of the car and ran. He hed been trying to jimmy the column but this Steadfast collar kept it from being stolen.

My car has an alarm, this thing, and the Ravelco device to keep it from being stolen. I'm going to get a gun next.

Well Savage, it's real easy to get inside the car even if it's locked, but I am glad to see that this device kept mr. thief from popping open your column and starting the car.

Next they need to invent a 3 foot long steak knife that pops up thru the seat bun....made especially for thieves trying to steal cars.

I noticed my car also has the mechanism you speak of that moves in the column even though I have a floor shift. Can this part be removed or is it necssary???

You can use a high quality carbide 1/8" bit and drill straight and reuse the shells for mounting with new hardened roll pins.

You can't use a cutoff wheel or you will destroy the flanges the unit has that get trapped by the mounting brackets.

It's resuable and they make new mounting kits that come with the half shells and new pins and new alignment pins too.

I was careful enough when drilling to be able to reuse the shells even, just need new pins and didn't bugger mine up too bad. :cool:

Had to replace a sticky IGN switch and tighten up the steering column tilt mechanism.

It's going back on soon. :)

Good write up, but who told you that a regular column lock is no good? I've never heard that before.

To “Ryan87GN” what type of "regular style column lock" did you have on your car?

A removable one. Had a key to take it off. It slipped over the turn signal stalk/ tilt lever, and joined together at the top.

Like this below. You get what you pay for. This is what was on the ground where my car was parked.

GM COLUMN LOCK / Anti-Theft / New , FITS GRAND NATIONAL : eBay Motors (item 280487893512 end time Apr-12-10 09:54:09 PDT)

How does the ignition key side work? What do the screws screw into? does it replace the original lock cylinder or does it cover it up? It supposed to stop theives from poppin the lock out with a slide hammer right?

How does the ignition key side work? What do the screws screw into? does it replace the original lock cylinder or does it cover it up? It supposed to stop theives from poppin the lock out with a slide hammer right?

If you're talkin about the steadfast, it comes with a new cylinder lock outter cover that screws into a movable inner....the end result is the outter cover just spins inside until you mate it up to the column. You retain your original lock cylinder, but you have to pry off the chrome cap and replace with the one i just mentioned.

I don't know if it will stop a thief with a slide hammer or not, but it is supposed to keep them from prying open the column housing and gaining access to the internals.

Steadfast security column collar

Where could I find the new mounting kits that come with the half shells and new pins and new alignment pins too.

I cut one of the half shells of to fix my steering column,,didn't read ur post before,,,..:eek::confused::(

I know this is a old thread but out of curiosity does the stead fast permanently stay on the column?

I'm wondering if this will cover this up because I was going to fix it but if I can kill two birds with one stone

I trying to post a picture

For some reason the picture won't upload

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 228
I know this is a old thread but out of curiosity does the stead fast permanently stay on the column?

I'm wondering if this will cover this up because I was going to fix it but if I can kill two birds with one stone
Yes it will cover it up......

it would be easier to replace the column and the rest of the car than to find a steadfast for sale.

it would be easier to replace the column and the rest of the car than to find a steadfast for sale.

Wow, a post from the past.............

What Dr. Boost says is so true. I don't know that I've ever seen one for sale.

When I brought my car to Lou Czarnota, he took the radiator cap off.

Then he said "Go buy a decent TR, a good one, and then come back. I'll re-install this and you will be good to go."........

Ok, I'm joking. I actually bought a beautifully solid California emission legal car from him and had him turn it into a low 10 second street monster.

Wheeeeeee!