Stage 2 GN build

Time for an update on the car. I've been getting lots of PM's about why I'm selling so many parts. Long story short I'm making the car more streetable.

My last car was a 600hp twin turbo mustang that was mostly a street car and didn't do well at the track (12.40's at 130). I sold it because I wanted to do a purpose built drag car. So with the GN, that's what I did. No compromises for streetability. And, that's what I ended up with. It is fast at the track, but a little un-nerving to drive anymore than around town. Most of that was due to the spool, anti-roll bar, manual steering and low ride height. I get plenty of fast passes at the track, but the rest of the time it sits in the trailer.

So, I'm fixing all that. New front suspension that uses stock type springs and shocks. New larger front brakes. Sway bars front and rear. Power steering and vacuum brake booster. The new front brakes require larger wheels. I'm going to put a set of 18's all around for street driving. I haven't decided whether I'll buy a set of 17" front runners for the track or just run whatever 18" fronts I buy.

Eventually when money allows I'll put an overdrive trans and a/c back on the car, but that's far off in the future.

I still have the 275 radials, I still have way too much power and it's still TSM legal. But maybe now I will be able to drive to the track (anywhere) run some 5's and drive it home with a/c a stereo and less white knuckles.

Mike, you have described to a T, exactly what I did with my car. My car looked decent and got lots of attention when I drove it on the street, but it rode like a piece of shit. Sloppy front end with no swaybar, and down right dangerous on the hwy in ruts. At the track it was always fun cause that's really what it was set up for. But the older I got the more I began hating the car. So I ditched the sloppy Lakewood 90/10's for Afco adjustable coilover struts, put in the thick 36 mm front swaybar, big brakes up front with a vacuum master cylinder , new tubular upper and lower control arms, 18" Simmons wheels and last but not least, ditched the noisy Weldon pump for a Racetronix double pumper. Now it's a absolute pleasure to drive again with no rattles, or sloppy steering. I have even put in a really nice head unit and speakers in the car along with navigation system. I want it all. Kudos to you for making the car a car that you can actually drive safely on the street with. That will be the best decision you have made yet, trust me.

I thought I was the only one insane enough to try to make a racecar back into a street car. Sounds like it might be possible after all.

Neal

Mike, you have described to a T, exactly what I did with my car. My car looked decent and got lots of attention when I drove it on the street, but it rode like a piece of shit. Sloppy front end with no swaybar, and down right dangerous on the hwy in ruts. At the track it was always fun cause that's really what it was set up for. But the older I got the more I began hating the car. So I ditched the sloppy Lakewood 90/10's for Afco adjustable coilover struts, put in the thick 36 mm front swaybar, big brakes up front with a vacuum master cylinder , new tubular upper and lower control arms, 18" Simmons wheels and last but not least, ditched the noisy Weldon pump for a Racetronix double pumper. Now it's a absolute pleasure to drive again with no rattles, or sloppy steering. I have even put in a really nice head unit and speakers in the car along with navigation system. I want it all. Kudos to you for making the car a car that you can actually drive safely on the street with. That will be the best decision you have made yet, trust me.

Mine might be the yen to your yang. I got pricing from Simmons over the night for a set of FR-18's. I loved them on my mustang. They are a bit out of my price range, but I might do it anyways. I still have the cage and the rear suspension still has rod ends, so I expect it to still be a little noisy. I have a set of racetronix pumps like yours that I'll try. If it won't support the power or the 60' I might do a secondary fuel system with a sump and the 2035.

The thing I miss the most from my mustang was the T-56. It sucked at the track, but it was sure fun on the street. One may find it's way into my GN if I get completely tired of drag racing it.

I thought I was the only one insane enough to try to make a racecar back into a street car. Sounds like it might be possible after all.

Neal

I need to start an un-build thread.

A big one on the rear, just like an HR rear sway bar and a matching one on front. Everybody removes the front sway bar when they are in the 11's or 12's to get quicker front suspension travel. When you get into the 9's you start tightening the front end back up to keep from standing the car up. I think it won't hurt a low 9 second car and this is an experiment to see.

Witch sway bars mike!! Win u get done with that street car will ya carry me for a ride!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hellwig front and rear bars. I have different end links for both to stiffen them up just a little.

Of course I'll take you for a ride. I bet when you get yours done, mine won't be that impressive in comparison. I bet yours will be faster than you think.

He says it will. I have never really had a so so fast car so we will see. We carrying to the shop sat. going to put in my anti roll, weld my axle tubes and couple more things to help support the rear. May go ahead and notch my frame but not shure if I want to yet

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've just finished the latest round of side jobs, so now I can get back to mine for a bit. It's a good thing because the pile of parts are starting to cover the car up.

I feel like there should be a picture with a $100 bill across the lip.
CIMG1733_zps23b360b3.jpg

CIMG1732_zpsb94b8c46.jpg

CIMG1731_zpsb97a4573.jpg

18x9.5 and 18x11. I'm hoping I can do a 275/35/18 and a 315/30/18. I'm going to get the front suspension back on this weekend and then I'm waiting on new axles and the brakes for the rear so I can test the fitment of the wheels before I buy tires.