Slow spoolup, stock turbo, how to adjust turbonetics deltagate?

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
Alright guys. I have a turbonetics deltagate on my car. It has a adjustable controller in the console that i guess is like a relief valve of some sort.

The problem is that even with the stock turbo, my car wont spool up for crap when leaving the line. I can punch it from a stop and it wont build boost for a split second, then it climbs up in PSI, first 5, then 10, then it shifts into 2nd gear and climbs up at the same rate until it hits 17, and it will stay at 17 until you get into the top of 3rd and bottom of 4th where it will start to creep up slowly.

My 60 foot times are always 2.3 or so because of this. I can build boost on the line, but it will still build slowly after i leave the line. It doesnt even spin the tires if i launch at 1700 RPM with no boost. It comes on strong about 1/4 of the way into 2nd gear and breaks the tires loose then.

I think its a problem with my wastegate. My car is not running rich anymore, and it does not ahve any exhaust leaks. I know that if i turn the valve all the way down it has 8 psi boost max and drops off at every gear shift and climbs back up as the RPMs climb. the more i turn the valve up the more steady the boost is. There is a adjustment screw on the top of the wastegate, would this have anything to do with it? i think the wastegate is not closing all the way or letting it off early.

What if the valve is leaking or something? What if i removed the valve from the console and the 20 feet of vacuum line that goes to it, and replaced it with a nice parker stainless steel relief valve about 6 inches from the wastegate? would this work better? Im wondering if the length of vacuum line could be a problem.

Thanks

Jacob, it sounds to me like you may have a couple different problems rolled into one.

The reason it takes so long to reach those boost levels is most likely a combination of the wastegate puck not sealing, and all of that extra vacuum line that runs to your In-Car setup. It takes time to pressureize that extra line, and this creates inconsistant/unresponsive boosting, and spiking. A relief valve can not be reliable at all with that kind of hose before it.

I suggest that you run a 6" length of vacuum hose from the wastegate to your relief valve, and another 6" length from the valve to the turbo. Also makes sure that you do infact have a relief valve, and that it is installed the correct way.

You may also want to check out my very informative thread located here.

If you do not have a decent boost controller(or don't trust yours :) ), I can supply you with any of those advertised in that thread.

Hope that helps you!

email: dcc@japan.com

-DC:cool:

fwiw,you can pull the deltagate apart and lap the valve seat to make it seal.i've done it and it's really easy.costs about $2.50 and about an hours time...

Thanks for the info, it explained exactly what i was suspecting. The relief valve installed inline should help out tremendously, and ill use the bleeder valve that i had, in the same manner you do to adjust the maximum boost. Its a parker hannifin 316 stainless relief valve, has a viton seal, 3000 psi 1/4 inch connections, and teflon contacts for the spring so that it wont bind or anything when being compressed. should work well.

Ill give it a try and let you guys know. Ill also check the seal at the puck and lap it if its leaking. Thanks

Boost Controller

Originally posted by Sinful6
Jacob, it sounds to me like you may have a couple different problems rolled into one.

The reason it takes so long to reach those boost levels is most likely a combination of the wastegate puck not sealing, and all of that extra vacuum line that runs to your In-Car setup. It takes time to pressureize that extra line, and this creates inconsistant/unresponsive boosting, and spiking. A relief valve can not be reliable at all with that kind of hose before it.

I suggest that you run a 6" length of vacuum hose from the wastegate to your relief valve, and another 6" length from the valve to the turbo. Also makes sure that you do infact have a relief valve, and that it is installed the correct way.

You may also want to check out my very informative thread located here.

If you do not have a decent boost controller(or don't trust yours :) ), I can supply you with any of those advertised in that thread.

Hope that helps you!

email: dcc@japan.com

-DC:cool:

Hey DC,

I'm not sure that my previous request got through.

Could I get one of your in car Boost Controller set ups. If so, how would you prefer payment.