shock and spring combo??

kosmo38

i just blew out the left rear shock and i am going to replace all shocks and springs. i searched and found that most people are runing 90/10 up front and 50/50out back. queston is where can i find these scocks and which springs to go with them??any help is appreciated. i am willing to sacrifice the ride becuase this will primarily be a drag car.

Shocks: Summit or Jegs.

Springs: That might be a little tougher. You should do a search of this board, turbobuicks.com, and the gnttype.org site. I don't have the numbers on hand, but I'm running stock replacement front, and variable rate rear springs from Moog (both frt & rr). Be carefull though, it seems that several of the manufacturers sell springs with different spring rates.

-Banning.

Here is a list of what I use on my car.

Springs Standard V6 in the front and variable rate in the rear. These can be purchased at just about any parts store. I had a true value autoparts store that had the rear springs in stock. These are the same for all Gbody cars. You can also buy springs from jegs and summit pep boys autozone and advance auto.

Shocks I use Competition Engineering 3 way shocks set at 50/50 on the rear. These actually work great and ride decent too. Of course something like a good bilstein will work also. On the fron I use HAL adjustable aluminum shocks. These have an external adjustment. These are great for the front. I loosen them up at the track and then tighten them up for the trip home. Has a knob you turn. Now these are expensive but I feel for a dual purpose car these are the best. The Competition engineering 3 way adjustables can be purchased for the front also. The only disadvantage is having to remove the shock to set it. 90/10 shocks do reduce the handling of the vehicle under regular road conditions.

My cars 5th pass was 12.65 at 108 at norwalk with 17 psi of boost with the tc unlocked. 19 psi in drag radials and 5 psi in one bag and 20 psi in the other. I was netting 1.86 60' times launching on only 4 psi of boost. I waas fighting boost problems related to exhaust so I never really was able to tweak on the suspension but with no work other than those settings above I was moving pretty good. With some front shock tuning and air pressure I am sure quicker 60' would be on the way. I did have my front shocks adjusted for the street and not the track.

Hope this info helps

You can find the shocks at Summit or Jegs. They probably sell drag springs also. I run Lakewood 90/10 up from and 50/50's on the rear. With dual air bags and no front sway bar, I pulled some 1:55-1:58 60' launching @ 8-10 #'s of boost on the foot brake with no other suspension mods. HTH Randall