Serpentine Belt Change

J T

I'm sure some of you have changed these before.My car possibly needs a new one.I know you take the tension off the idler pulley,take the old belt off and put the new one on the same way.Is it some what a hard jod to do?
I will be doing it outside in the cold.
Thanks... :)

It's a piece of cake (especially if you don't have the stock intercooler fan).
Put a (I believe) 17mm wrench on the bolt in the center of the tensior (facing towards the front) and turn to the right. The whole assembly will wrap up and around. Using your other hand, slip it off the alternator, and then release the tensioner. Then thread the belt out from all other accessories. Just make sure you have a good mental image of the belt route beforehand (or a sticker on the core support that shows it), otherwise it's confusing when putting it back on. When you're over/under all accessories other than the alternator, put your wrench on the tensioner, like before, and turn to the right. You should be able to slip the belt onto the alternator, and then release the tensioner.

if you have the intercooler, do you need to remove it to get the belt off?
I need to pull mine off to eliminate engine noises. mine has the intercooler and I'm curious if I need to remove anything to get the belt off easily?

Last edited:
if you have the intercooler, do you need to remove it to get the belt off?
I need to pull mine of to eliminate engine noises. mine has the intercooler and I'm curious if I need to remove anything to get the belt off easily?

NO..