Scanmaster Relocation

GNONYX

There are many members giving some great ideas of having the Scanmaster LED color replaced to Scanmaster relocation. Beside the usually position above the radio podium, or between the radio podium and the speed Dashboard, I relocated the Scanmaster above the rear view mirror. No more looking down to see the numbers having your eyes off the road, now you can see who's behind you, as well as seeing in front view while driving.

Attachments

• Picture 240.jpg
    Picture 240.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,281
  • Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,235
  • Picture 245.jpg
    Picture 245.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,354
  • Picture 248.jpg
    Picture 248.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,296
  • Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,139
That is an excellent idea. Can you explain more on what parts you used and how you made the bracket?

That is an excellent idea. Can you explain more on what parts you used and how you made the bracket?
The flat metal is from Home Depot in the lumber dept., the diameter of the mirror shaft is 3/4" so you need a 3/4 Shaft Collar Double Split in Black, Small 3 pin terminal lead wire harness - Jack and Plug Wire & Socket, 2 small sheet metal screw to replace the 2 small existing machine screw since the existing screw are too short to be assemble with the flat bracket, soldering iron, and shrinking tubing. I almost forgot the 10' 3 conductor wire was purchased in Home Depot for $3.00. On one of the picture you will see there is an offset on the end of the flat bracket, so I grind down the split collar on both side and drill/tap 1/4x20 cap screw. You will definitely need the cut or grind off some of the 1/4x20 threads as this will pass through the split collar and dig into the rear view mirror shaft. I know these parts are available by home, but I found them to be pricey, so I got most of them through EBay; the only drawback is the shipping waiting game.

Attachments

• Picture 181.jpg
    Picture 181.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 552
  • Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 529
  • Picture 184.jpg
    Picture 184.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 511
  • Picture 185.jpg
    Picture 185.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 487
  • Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 502
  • Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 508
  • Picture 233.jpg
    Picture 233.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 494
  • Picture 234.jpg
    Picture 234.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 490
  • Picture 195.jpg
    Picture 195.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 516
Looks like it was meant to be their now only if they would build one with green leds for you.
You must have ESP since I ready looked into changing the color to green to match all.
Other members decided to changed from red to blue, and I found the correct green LED displays. For now baby steps since I wanted to see out come of the new location and I like it allot, so now to get the LED and make the switch. Once all is finish I will post the new Scanmaster green color . Thanks

Man you may want to pop a couple of those brackets outs for members with t tops that looks it it should have been there from the factory

Man you may want to pop a couple of those brackets outs for members with t tops that looks it it should have been there from the factory

Thanks, but thats why I already gave the how to do list if any member might want to this for winter project. It is a simple but effective project anyone can do, and ask me for additional questions on this. I do believe even the hard top can utilize this since the metal band molding that goes across the top of the headliner and windshield can cover the wire.

That is one of the best mods I have seen. I plan to mount my tach on the sunvisor (not my idea) and then do this mod. Thanks for sharing!!

Okay here is an updated of changing the ScanMaster LED from red to green color.
Thank You Bob Bailey, a truly great Mad Scientist in his craft as an engineer. With Bob busy schedule, he still had time to help me out with the ScanMaster of changing the red to green color LED lights, and let me tell you it was no easy task. You need to have some experience with soldering and de-soldering PC boards components without burning off any trace wire which is part of the PC board wire connection.
After replacing the green LED you would also need to double up on a 16 pin resistor network in order to brighten the output display.
Bob also claimed: The red LED's are what they call "high efficiency red", so they are fairly bright. Unfortunately they don't make a "high efficiency green", so there is really nothing you can do to make them brighter. This is a true statement, but I still enjoy the way the green color ScanMaster looks with the rest of my green color dashboard.
1st picture was taken when I was in the back seat
2nd picture is a close up
3rd picture just entering the car, and all pictures the gauges look bright since I did not have the parking lights or the head lights on for Dim mode.
I also added a You Tube video of the ScanMaster in green color:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxBuE16q5g
Note: If anyone wants a green color lens, Bob will need a bunch of guys together in order for him to make the green color lens. But remember, changing the lens is the easy part, de-soldering and soldering the green LED'S is the hard part.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 352
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 358
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 345
Very cool!:cool:
I put red LEDs in my AVC dash, so my S/M blends in...
I hate having mismatched lights, as well
Now I need to get the radio &A/C lamps swapped out!
I'm cooking up an idea for a S/M display but am still in the planning stages
But love the placement/relocation

Do_O

My winter project list just got longer =) GREAT IDEA !!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My winter project list just got longer =) GREAT IDEA !!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looks awesome.

Awe, man, did you have to mention winter? I've worked so many hours this summer it's flown by. I don't think I've put 1k miles on my car.

Back to the OP, good job!

Very cool!:cool:
I put red LEDs in my AVC dash, so my S/M blends in...
I hate having mismatched lights, as well
Now I need to get the radio &A/C lamps swapped out!
I'm cooking up an idea for a S/M display but am still in the planning stages
But love the placement/relocation

Do_O