S-10 conversion - brake hose came loose

83hurstguy

I have my H/O converted over to the S-10 spindles/brakes. On Saturday night, pulled into a parking lot, and the brake pedal hit the floor. Luckily it was there, and not many other places I had been tonight with traffic on the roads.

At first I thought I had a brake hose fail... however, the banjo fitting came loose on me. I am using stock G-body Russell hoses with the conversion.

Here is how the hoses are routed:

2010-38.JPG

The suspension is in full droop in this picture, so at ride height, the hose bend isn't as extreme.

I'm not sure if I should switch to a different hose style (I think Earl's makes some with square ends), route them differently, or put a pin/screw into the caliper and safety wire the hose end so it can't rotate. Anybody else ever have any issues like this?

as stupid as this sounds, the banjo bolt wasnt tight enough.

it happened to my ssbc calipers once. Tony Shoaff tightened it, and it never loosened again. i estimate that tony is 1000% stronger than me since it lasted that much longer.

Thanks! Yeah, I was a little PO'd with the brake fluid everywhere :rolleyes: Luckily the paint damage wasn't too bad.

Surej, thanks for the info on that. I'll be sure to tighten the hell out of them, and probably still safety wire them just so I don't ever worry about it. At least these calipers are cast iron and not aluminum.

Not really, it needs paint. I have pretty much all the chassis restored now, since the front suspension is finished. Here are a few pics...

2010-45.jpg

2010-46.jpg

chassis%2062.JPG

This is a pic from last year before I got to the front suspension...
P1000511.JPG

same happened to me in chicago, and the line got pinched somehow. had to get the regular rubber hose at a parts store.