Roll cage side bar question...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Right now, I have a 6pt. roll bar in my GN with swing-out side bars. Recently, my car ran into the 9's and I know that I'll have to upgrade to a cage to be NHRA legal. My question is this : Instead of having a regular side bar (swing-out or not), can I have a fixed "X" brace instead (similar to the one pictured below) ? I'd prefer that to a single side bar...:wink: but is it going to pass tech inspection?

Thanks,

Claude. :)

P.S: Is the lower horizontal bar (close to the car's door sill) mandatory or optional ?

Jack installs cages and probely has a rule book he would be able to help you on this.

An 8.50 cage does not need the x at the door or the bar that runs along the rocker. Although, both are good to have. Helps in protecting the driver from a side impact.

My NHRA certified 8.50 cage has both side bars as swingouts.

As long as the X bar fits/intercepts your arm from shoulder the elbow, that will be OK as per the rules.

Thanks everyone for your replies...Is there someone who has some pictures of cars with "x bar braces" ?

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

As long as the X bar fits/intercepts your arm from shoulder the elbow, that will be OK as per the rules.

I am sure this has been answered previously, but I have forgotten and cannot find an answer. Does the bar have to intersect your arm while at your side or while on the steering wheel. Different position, could mean different bar position as well. Sorry if this is a dumb question, never had a roll bar/cage before...

30943d1234877186-nhra-rules-roll-cages-nhra-rollbar.gif