RJC exhaust system with UMI rear shock tower brace

krisking94

as the title states can I run a rjc 3inch exhaust with a UMI rear shock tower brace. I already have the rjc unit installed on my car. I'm going to be installing new rear control arms and bigger rear sway bar. Would like to add a UMI rear brace while I'm down there but have heard it has problems with some aftermarket exhaust. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also does anyone make a front shock brace bar? I saw BMR makes one for 98/02 F body's, wonder if that fits our cars. Thank you

Last edited:
If your muffler/exhaust uses the stock exhaust brackets above the rear shock mounts, then no the UMI brace will not work. You have to remove the stock brackets to install the UMI cross brace.

I think the shock brace is really only beneficial with coil over conversions, where the weight of the rear is being supported by part of the frame that was never intended to take that load. When I installed coil overs, the tops of the bolts would make contact with the trunk pan - the shock brace made that go away. With stock location springs I would not bother with this brace (trunk brace, yes). It seems with the number of posts on this part a fair number of people have installed them, most probably with stock location springs, I'm curious what sort of difference they felt it made.

No, it will not work with the RJC 3in Crossflow exhaust or stock exhaust. I have contacted UMI themselves and they confirmed this.

Captrop is spot on, if you are using the stock exhaust brackets then the umi brace will not work. Im using Jason's 4 inch single exhaust and removed the stock exhaust brackets for the umi bar to work.

Also does anyone make a front shock brace bar? I saw BMR makes one for 98/02 F body's, wonder if that fits our cars. Thank you

The F bodies are unibody and use struts that attach to the body above the engine where a strut tower brace is effective.
Our cars have a frame where the shocks and springs attach beside the engine. The triangle front frame braces and core support to fender braces do a good job of tying things together unless you go to extremes and put in a roll cage with some crossbars around the engine.

Last edited: