Resealing rear window

bob86gn

Any tips on resetting the rear glass?

I have 3M 3/8" ribbon sealer (part number 008612) and a tube of 3M Windo-Weld (part number 08609) ordered. I cleaned the pinchweld area down to a thin layer of the existing sealer.

Just run a thin bead of the Windo-Weld along the lip, set the ribbon and press the glass in, right?

TIA, Bob

NOPE!!

Bob, the pinchweld has to have the old sealer cleaned off first. Otherwise you are gluing the glass onto old sealer that may not have a good bond after 15 yrs.
Clean the pinchweld off clean, and use the primer that is recommended. It comes in a can w/ a brush top lid.

I just called a local windows guy and they cleaned it and reinstalled for $50.

Everything points to having it done professionally except the fact the the car has no interior or seats yet, it leaks like a sieve and it won't fit in the garage yet!! I have to fix it myself before it rains later this week. :(

Bob86gn.

I used to do this stuff for a living back when these cars were new. It's sort of a one shot deal to bond these in correctly. It can be a messy handfull, and kind of tricky to say the least. If yours is a nice car ,( I think all turbo buicks are) I would'nt recommend trying it with out at LEAST watching some one do one first. Most auto glass shops probably would'nt mind you hangin out a while and asking for some pointers. Especially if you brought them a six pack of barley-pop (for after work). ME?? I'd spend the $50.00 on the profesional install, and drink the beer while they did it :D . But, HEY!!! I like beer; not leaky windows. Good luck.

Well my window is set but there is a small leak on the top. What can I use to seal it up???? It just needs a touch up.

GNICETRY

It depends on if it was installed with the newer eurathanes or the older stuff? As I vagely remember not all of them were compatable with each other. A reseal is not too hard of a job to do your self if your a patient person. Along with sealant you'll need a clip tool to remove the trim with out breaking too many clips (after fifteen years they will break). I think I wraped mine with masking tape so as not to scratch the glass. After hitting up a glass shop for the proper tool(s),clips,and goo. You may decide to take the cheaper way out and have them do it while you wait. What ever you choose, just do me a favor and do'nt just put a bead of silicone between the trim and body or glass. It'll probably work for a little while but, it looks really bad after it peels and fades. Good luck! And let the force be with you.

I agree this is a PITA, and really isn't that expensive to have someone else do it. There a lot of places like Klein ****ard (sp?) that I think are national that will come to your work/home and do windshield repair. I'll bet you could have them come out and get it done for you. Might be a better option and they will warranty it for some period of time so what you do is borrow a pressure washer and hit it real good (after it cures that is) if it leaks call them or bring it in and they will do it again for you

I do all my own work on my cars except setting up gears, tranny rehab (I tried that a few times too) and window sealing.

this might be an option for you!

Guys, It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I cleaned the pinchwled area out pretty good and made sure the glass was immaculate. (Also resoldered by defroster cables while the glass was out). Layed down a very thin bead of the caulk gun type 3M sealer, set the ribbon sealer in, set the glass in and then proceeded to basically fill the rest of the pinchweld area with the caulk type 3M sealer so that the seam at the glass and the ribbon was totally covered.

We had a pretty good thunderstorm last night with some driving wind and the window sealed like a champ!!! Not a drop of water. If you are patient, very patient, it is not too bad of a job.

Thanks for the help guys. :D