Replacing water pump

mike331

Hey Guys

I have to replace the water pump. I ordered a felpro gasket and i wanted to know do i use gasket sealer on the gasket and do you put loctite on the bolts? While I am on the subject of loctite also is it a good idea to use it on any bolts i take off under the hood..

Thanks

You should use thread sealer on the bolts thats go in to the water jacket.I like teflon paste.

no sealer on gasket, a small dab of teflon paste on the bolts that go into the water jacket.

I know this is old thread but I think a water pump bolt is leaking. I pressurized the radiator and I'm getting some pooling on top of the timing cover area, under the upper radiator hose (where it slides over the thermostat housing). Both the upper hose and the S hoses are bone dry. Does that upper water pump bolt go through a water jacket? Could some sealant on the bolt fix this leak? Thanks.

Interesting....Hey GNRick I am following this thread. I've got exactly the same problem....just a wee little bit of coolant pooled on top of the timing cover (directly below the rad hose). I was thinking it was a leaky thermostat hsg...but maybe it's one of the upper bolts holding the timing cover on.

Coolant at that location sounds more like a thermostat Oring leaking.

The only water pump bolts that hit coolant are the 4 long bolts. The 5 small bolts don't get wet.

Also, for the sake of the archive, those need a thin film of antiseeze. Any steel bolt that goes into aluminum needs antiseeze.

Last edited:
Hope this will help
When I replaced my water pump I used Permatex 80633 Thread Sealant with PTFE on the area where bolts goes through the water block

Attachments

• Water Pump Bolts Pattern.jpg
    Water Pump Bolts Pattern.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 139
Replaced thermostat housing O ring, no more leak. As Ed China would say, Result! Thanks again to those who posted advice.