Removing AC box heat shield

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Anyone running without that damn shield on the AC box? Notice any difference without it? What to do with the wiring in that area without it. Post pics of your setup please.

Tossed it years back on the head gasket job...no problems
100_2482.JPG

I removed mine recently. I put heat shield tape over the box and painted it black.

I used the stock mounting clip. Simply screwed it to the box.

vc1.JPG
I would like to personally thank the Buick wizard that came up with the idea of putting that lower screw on the heat shield where it is just about impossible to get at it with the motor in the car. That's 90 minutes of my life I won't get back.:mad: Should make it a lot easier to remove the valve cover on the passenger side in the future. Putting on a set of the polished valve covers we sell and just wanted some extra clearance.

Bringing this back up top.

Mark,
Any tips or tricks on removing the heat shield? I'm thinking of doing mine.

Just unbolt it! There is a real bugger of a screw that is down below though, just hard to get at with downpipe and crossover installed but it is possible.

It seemed like a nightmare reading some of the other posts.
I'm taking the DP out to wrap it down where it passes under the box, so hopefully it's a bit easier

I think I accessed that screw with an extension from underneath the car. My heat shield now is loose so I can push it aside a little bit when removing the vc.

Hey guys, piss on that long screw. I just beat the shit out of it until it fell off. Don't like to say anything bad about Buick, but what a dumb ass idea.

I took out my heater box in the late 90's. Put the plate in it's place and mounted my factory harness to it using the hard plastic clip on the harness. Eventually I realized that I do like the space that it offers, but I wanted some heat back in my car for those early spring, late fall cruises. So I got a heater assembly out of a 95 Pathfinder. They are cheap as hell on Ebay. The assembly has everything but the wiring to a switch (2 wires off of the blower motor). The assembly mounts right behind the plate using the 4 bolt holes you see on the heater assembly in the link. You can see in the picture I have 2 holes in the plate for the heater lines to come out and run into the factory lines. I got some tin ducts at Home Depot and used it to route the heater assembly back into the factory air vent which just heats the windshield and the foot area. I have it all apart right now because I'm replacing all the factory rubber lines with Racetronix teflon lines and AN fittings to match everything else I did under the hood. By doing so with the heater assembly. Your glovebox is gone, it's just a door to look into that area now, not storage space.

here is a link for what I am using.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-90-91-...ash=item1c5d3ff39d:g:VWwAAOSwnipWVNbH&vxp=mtr

Here is the best shot I have

Last edited: