Rear main seal

raregn

Addicted to BOOST
So, I took my engine apart last weekend... original un-touched since new.
To my surprise, there was no rear crankshaft main seal in it at all. No upper or lower. just an open cavity where it should be. And it didn't even leak oil that bad, it was leaking but I would think it should be pouring out.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Never I was under the same believe you had should have been a sizeable leak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So, I took my engine apart last weekend... original un-touched since new.
To my surprise, there was no rear crankshaft main seal in it at all. No upper or lower. just an open cavity where it should be. And it didn't even leak oil that bad, it was leaking but I would think it should be pouring out.

Has anyone ever seen this before?
Maybe that's the trick leave the seals and gaskets out of the engine on our Buicks to keep them from leaking

I imagine the oil pick up tube screen has quite a bit of rope debris clogging it up?

if not, something very fishy going on there!

I have seen an "empty cavity" where the rope seal was supposed to be, but it was only after a complete failure of the rope seal (very shortly after), with a generous oil leak, and a massively plugged screen to boot.

I imagine the oil pick up tube screen has quite a bit of rope debris clogging it up?

if not, something very fishy going on there!

I have seen an "empty cavity" where the rope seal was supposed to be, but it was only after a complete failure of the rope seal (very shortly after), with a generous oil leak, and a massively plugged screen to boot.

Yes, actually the oil pick up screen was very plugged... with no other debris or sludge in the engine anywhere else.
I've been a technician for 24 years and have never seen this type of failure.
It always leaked a little oil, that why I kept a drain pan on the garage floor where I park. Another clue is last summer for the first time in 21 years of owning the car I had to add a liter of oil. it has never used oil in the past, oh well it's at the machine shop getting re-built now.