Re: Upgrades

bwallace

Just recently purchased an 87 GN has over 100k on the engine, but would like to do some minor upgrades. I just installed a cold air induction from M. Heuffman(install was very easy and can already feel an increase in performance). I also have a Walbro340 w/hot wire kit and Trasher(92-30-k2.560) chip not yet installed and will be getting an adjustable fuel regulator( any suggestion on a good regulator appreciated). Does anyone have any suggestions/receipe's about these upgrades specifically the chip and will I see any performance gains without upgrading the injectors. I want to aviod installing anything that will seriously hurt the engine until I get the cash to freshin up the engine, no experience with these machines. Did take it out to the track last week to get a baseline made 3 passes, 15.01 94Mph, 14.85 94mph and 14.80 95mph, stock tires broke lose at the line every time, but this was my first time at the track and my driving skills, tires should improve those time. Any help appreciated.:confused:

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan laid out for yourself. I would add a 160 stat, though.

i wouldn't think you are anywhere near needing an engine freashed up.
My has 130,000 and is strong.
You will need a new timing chain & valve springs.
The valve springs will help your MPH. You need your MPH to be around 99 on a stock car.
I would get my injectors cleaned and flowed. I saw a major improvment with newer injectors.
With the thrasher, stock setup, I ran 14 @ 99MPH with poor 60 ft times.
So with some DRs a stock GN should be in high 13s with average tuning abilities.
2nd on getting rid of the cat!

Thanks for the info. but I think my trans is done, took it out for a drive yesterday trans started to slip in drive shifted to 2nd fine for a few miles shifted back to drive and lost all gears including reverse. Towed it home engine runs ok but nothing in all gears I guess my upgrades will be on hold for a while. Anyone out there have a low mileage trans or a good shop for a rebuild in Maryland.

Anyone out there have a low mileage trans or a good shop for a rebuild in Maryland.
Most of us get Andy Lahoskay to rebuild them. He works out of his garage down in Waldorf. You can either take him the car or the trans. A shop here in Laurel, Vernon's Auto (301-498-2700), is very good with these cars and can pull the trans and send it to Andy for you. DelTrans in Newark, DE is very good at rebuilding and raising the stall on the stock converters to about 2800 rpms, and they can also do the trans rebuild. I had them do mine about 5 years ago, then had Andy do it again after the converter failed at 35000 miles and killed everything. Apparently they had gotten a bad batch of converter clutches and had several fail. They wouldn't do the trans for less than full price since it was out of warranty (12 months/12000 miles) but did take 50% off the converter rebuild (oh, joy :p). Oh, Don at Vernon's may have a used trans for sale, or you can check with Brian Weavy (regular on this bb as bweavy) or Trey Crease at 0-60 performance up in PA (see vendor's page at www.gnttype.org).

Thanks Carl, I left a message with Brian about a trans but will check out the others and see what kind of money I will have to come up with to get it running again. Any ideas what kind of money this will cost for a rebuild? Thanks again for the help.

Del Trans charged me $1200 for a basic performance rebuild on mine last summer and that was without the convertor. I run one of Bruce Toelle's GN convertors. The trans has worked extremely well, but I do realize that I will have to eventually upgrade some tranny pieces, so I will most likely have my spare rebuilt.

Depending on what hard parts are needed, Andy gets about $1000 (+/- $300 :)) plus the converter, plus maybe $200-250 if he pulls the trans and puts it back in. DelTrans charges about $275 to rebuild your converter and raise the stall to about 2800 rpms, or, of course, you can step up to a 9". I like the way Andy sets up the shifts better than DelTrans - they block the 1-2 accumulator even with a 12" converter so every 1-2 shift will jerk your neck even at very light throttle (and stress all the trans, ujoint, and rear end parts). I did make him put the stock TV spring back in so it wasn't so hard to push down on the gas pedal, though :). Don't forget that you have to flush all the trans cooler lines and you really should replace the trans cooler in the radiator since it catches all the gunge and it's next to impossible to flush it all out. If it's the original core this would be a good time to maybe get a whole new radiator. Either Nick Micale (www.arizonagn.com) or Tony DeQuick (www.chargedair.com) can get you a high efficiency 3 row unit for a good price, or a stock replacement is still available from GM that you could probably get for under $250 from Dal at VanDevere Olds (dal@lookitup.net I think).