Radio harness?

dssking

Gentlemen,

At some point, I'll be pulling out the stock radio and replacing it with an aftermarket unit. It's been a while since I've done a radio in a g-body (mom had a cutlass 25 years ago at least).

What's the harness I need to do this without cutting the factory harness?
I can't remember the name of the part.

Further, what radios are guys typically putting in?

Thanks

I haven't Installed them yet, but I ordered this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/331669170044?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which plugs into your original factory harness connector to wire to an aftermarket radio. My harness was cut so I ordered this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/271733029852?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which replaces the original missing factory harness. BTW these connectors fit my Concert sound II radio for my 87 GN. Be sure to double check the connectors on your radio harness so see if they match before purchasing.

Gentlemen,

At some point, I'll be pulling out the stock radio and replacing it with an aftermarket unit. It's been a while since I've done a radio in a g-body (mom had a cutlass 25 years ago at least).

What's the harness I need to do this without cutting the factory harness?
I can't remember the name of the part.

Further, what radios are guys typically putting in?

Thanks
You need an adapter harness to go from the factory plugs to whatever radio you decide to put in. Most car stereo installation outfits have them.

What does this do?

It will allow the larger diameter antenna plug (ISO non std) to fit into the smaller diameter (Din std) antenna hole. GM always had a non standard antenna plug, I have always needed to buy the ISO to Din adapter when replacing stock radios with a newer style radio.

GNrick, he may get lucky on the antenna adapter, it looks like GM didn't make the switch to non standard jack until after '88 so 87 and earlier may work just fine, if not, depending on the radio he is installing, an adapter converting from one style to the other are readily available for a few bucks.