Racing - "D" or "OD"??

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Ok guys, I'm most likely going back to the track tomorrow night with some of the problems fixed from last time. I have slicks, air bags and a proper race chip this time. My question is this: What is the general concensus about where the shifter should be when racing? Last time, I stayed in D, but I hear of people using OD. On a stockish car with 27" slicks, is D still better, or will I pickup some MPH by using OD?

Thanks!!

With 27" tires and a lock up TC, D will be good to nearly 120 mph. No need for OD.

Letting the trans shift itself ito OD is guaranteed to slow you down because it will shift too early. If the car is nosing over before the end of the track, manually shifting at that point into OD, may allow it to run quicker. Taller tires are a better long term solution, though.

Great :) My new slicks are 27/10/15's (Goodyear Eagle stock car slicks - bought VERY cheap) and I had Jim Testa burn my race chip with TC lock up at WOT around 75 MPH. I'm hoping this chip coupled with a slick- equipped launch will get me into the 12's. I have the bags too, but they won't be installed in time for tomorrow.