Quikee Turbo Regal Contest(s)

Next contest

I gotta again get off Turbo Regal topic....to stay fresh....

Here is the question

I think every reader will agree the tachometers in our cars are crude to say the least. Those with the wonderful digital option which basically means you got a vast barren dash didn't even get a tach just a boost lite that blinks on in various colors and as time has shown becomes very problematic.

Step back a few years again a very popular GM perfomance car. They also had an unusual tachometer. What one year Tachometer in what GM car am I referring to.

Gotta stay vague on my clues to not give the answer.

game on players

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Kirban Update

You can rule out hood tachs....not the correct answer. Hood tachs was lst introduced on the 1967 GTOs and Firebirds and was probably an accessory on other Pontiacs as well. The 1967 was taller than the 1968 and later ones. Dixco made a aftermarket one that was similar. Buick had one as well. I have an extremely rare on still in the box it is an AC one from GM Performance. All the other ones have been reproduced. Back in the day used original ones would fetch several hundred dollars until the repros came out that looked exact and had better electric internals.

To my memory Chevy a voided the hood tach option altogether like they avoided Hurst shifters and stuck with Muncie shifters.

but enough history

question is still out there with no correct answer......

At least I am fresh out of Yugo questions...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 80
The Dash tach in the 63 Buick Riviera.

Last edited:
kirban update:

Still no correct answer tach here are more clues

tach was a one year only....

its in a GM high performance car 60s vintage

its weird not because of the way it looks but because it has something additional.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban udpate

still no correct answer tic tack was kinda cool not weird also think Olds and others used that same format....

your getting in the neighborhood for the answer but no one has hit it yet.

Just more useless car info everyone is learning....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

1969 Chevelle SS, one gauge showed tach, gas tank, oil pressure,battery charge, water temp

1969 Nova. The large speedometer cluster includes a small tach on the left and a clock on the right.

The 68 Chevelle had the verticle tach in the center as mentioned and shown earlier. What was weird was the gauge to the right had a center clock and the all the gauges Rick mentioned above. In 69 they put the tach in place of the clock so safe to say it messed a lot of people up. Plus it had a top center red light for the brake.
Sure you weren't looking for that 1 year verticle tach?

How about the blinker tach? One year had the tach obscuring the turn signal indicator so they put that indicator on the tach face as well. Earned the name blinker tach. 1967 Chevelle I believe.

BINGO post 579 nailed it it was a one year only tach weird because seems to be an after thought since it has the turn signal blinker for the one side in the actual tach face...

To me that makes it weird.....

Just more useless car trivia for the readers.

One might also say not much thought went into the tachometer design in our cars.....heck even the 1965-67 GTO had a full ralley package with a full swept tachometer and that was 20 years earlier.

Even the Monte Carlo SS had a smarter looking guage cluster as did the Olds 442 models....but both those cars lacked the technology Buick stuffed under the hood.

Gotta think up the next question as it is getting harder for me to think them up...and keep them turbo regal related.

congrats to all the players thus far.

next contest be up in a short time.

denniskirban@yahoo.com