Questions on TA-49 (Garrett) Turbo

Rich Gio

You'll need a bigger Hemi
I just did a search and my head is spinning. I'm looking to upgrade my turbo to the "Stock Appearing" TA-49. I've read that I want a Garrett/Limit housing if I want to keep my spool time down. I called Limit engineering and found that they will only sell me a TA-49 if I send them a core. Kirban's sells them without a core requirement, but Limit engineering tells me I'll need my stock elbow modified and Kirban's does not include the elbow.
Does this sound right? Does anyone sell them without a core requirement AND include the modified stock elbow?

Also, how much am I going to gain by going to a TA-49 over my stock set up with the mods in my sig? (Best of 12.33@ 108.5MPH with a 1.7 60' time)

Click on the link in my sig. I've got 2 ready to go. One is 100% stock appearing including stock backplate. The other not in the listing utilizes a billet back plate and dynamic seal. Your choice of ex housing. Precision .63 or Garrett .63. I'll sell without a core. These are properly done where the compressor wheel is sitting at the correct height relative to the back plate. Pm me your email and I'll send pics since I don't have any listed. The elbow is not included and doesn't require modification if used with this turbo. The ta49 has been 10.80's@121+ on an unopened engine. 11.3-11.4 @117 is typical with good fuel and boost in the mid to high 20's and decent traction. There is very little gain below 20psi on an unopened engine.

Pics of stock appearing ta49. High flow stage 3 turbine and t04e 60 compressor wheel. Inlet bell not included. Precision housing is the dark colored one. Garrett .63 ex housing is freshly sandblasted

Attachments

• image-1078247216.jpg
    image-1078247216.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 942
  • image-2810645141.jpg
    image-2810645141.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 859
the 49 will be a nice upgrade with the garrett.63 that was a fun turbo easy mid 11's.

There is very little gain below 20psi on an unopened engine.
This is important to realize. The stock turbo will perform great up to 20-22psi so if you don't plan on running more than this then there may not be a reason to upgrade.

ks

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not planning on going much above 21 psi so now I'm not sure if I'll see any gains by doing the swap. I'm having issues with KR above 21psi even with Alky. (I need a professional tune! )

Pics of stock appearing ta49. High flow stage 3 turbine and t04e 60 compressor wheel. Inlet bell not included. Precision housing is the dark colored one. Garrett .63 ex housing is freshly sandblasted
Do u still have ta49 turbos

Guys, this thread is 5yrs old. Just pm Bison if you need a turbo, it's what he does.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have rotating groups and housings machined and ready to assemble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+++ BISON'S TA49 is the BOMB +++ i'm still only running 16 -17 lbs boost with this Turbo on 93 Oct ( no other changes done from the stock turbo running 16-17 lbs ) and it pulls harder than the stock turbo for sure. I did runs (1 day difference w/ same weather conditions , same stretch of road ) with a G-Tech timer and the car was consistent 2-3 mph higher in the 1/4mi. I can't wait till i'm running E-85 and 24-25 lbs boost ! coming soon..

+++ BISON'S TA49 is the BOMB +++ i'm still only running 16 -17 lbs boost with this Turbo on 93 Oct ( no other changes done from the stock turbo running 16-17 lbs ) and it pulls harder than the stock turbo for sure. I did runs (1 day difference w/ same weather conditions , same stretch of road ) with a G-Tech timer and the car was consistent 2-3 mph higher in the 1/4mi. I can't wait till i'm running E-85 and 24-25 lbs boost ! coming soon..
E85 would be perfect for a 62!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk