PTC NL 9.5 - Street Driving

gdsims231

IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.PNG
I know a lot has been discussed with the PTC 9.5 and it's street driven characteristics - mainly heat. I thought I would give some real world experience to possibly help someone make their decision. Here is some data from This past Saturday night. This is in a 3776# car with the air on and cruise set. The shots are after driving through stop and go traffic in town where the max temp I saw was 173*. The drive to the track was 45 minutes. I made 4 passes in the car, the last 2 were approximately 30 minutes apart and I got hung out a bit and was on the trans brake for 6 seconds. Max temp was 201*.

IMG_0428.JPG
Cooler is mounted unde the front bumper where the IC scoop used to be. No scoop, no fan. I really thought I would have to do something different with it. I may have to add a fan and a cooler just for the pan to cool it down between rounds. You can see it in this pic.

View attachment 305184
Cooler is mounted unde the front bumper where the IC scoop used to be. No scoop, no fan. I really thought I would have to do something different with it. I may have to add a fan and a cooler just for the pan to cool it down between rounds. You can see it in this pic.
Are you monitoring your tranny temps thru your FAST or using a stand alone temp gauge. If so- what type of pod temp gauge and sensor are you using. Also do you have the temp sensor submerged in the tranny pan sump or location somewhere else.

Haulz A

I am monitoring with a stand alone gauge with the sensor in the pan. You can see it in the picture under the car. It's an Autometer 6949 cobalt series to match the 6188 I am using for a tach, but mainly as a shift light. I could not find a solid way to monitor trans temp through the fast with a display.

I am sorry, you cannot see the sensor in the pic. It was taken before I installed it. It is located where you see the drain plug in the pic.

Been running one for about 7 years now. Running thru the oil cooler in the radiator and B&M external with fan. Usually never above 180. Have a manual switch on the fan so if I get into heavy traffic I turn on the fan before temps start climbing. Originally just ran the external but ended up plumbing into the oil cooler since temps would hardly ever climb over 125 in the cool weather. Not sure if it makes a difference if it is too cold or not.

I am monitoring with a stand alone gauge with the sensor in the pan. You can see it in the picture under the car. It's an Autometer 6949 cobalt series to match the 6188 I am using for a tach, but mainly as a shift light. I could not find a solid way to monitor trans temp through the fast with a display.
Ok- thanks for the info. Tranny temps can only be data logged using a FAST but not displayed on the E-dash or an external gauge. I have a 17 blade PTC NLC as well but do not monitor tranny temp at this at time. I'll probably just install a stand alone pod gauge similar to yours. I race my car as well but normally do not drive it to the track if I race it . Are you going to BG in September- if so, ru gona race yr car in what class. I currently run THS/TBP/TAI classes.

Haulz A

This car is mainly a street car that is set up more for pro touring. We are going to take it to BG but I have no idea what class we will fit in. Chris H is working on my Stage engine and hope to have it in by BG. It is a stock crank and block right now so I don't get too aggressive with it.

Ok- thanks for the info. Tranny temps can only be data logged using a FAST but not displayed on the E-dash or an external gauge. I have a 17 blade PTC NLC as well but do not monitor tranny temp at this at time. I'll probably just install a stand alone pod gauge similar to yours. I race my car as well but normally do not drive it to the track if I race it . Are you going to BG in September- if so, ru gona race yr car in what class. I currently run THS/TBP/TAI classes.

Haulz A

They could be displayed on a scanmaster G if t was configured for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This car is mainly a street car that is set up more for pro touring. We are going to take it to BG but I have no idea what class we will fit in. Chris H is working on my Stage engine and hope to have it in by BG. It is a stock crank and block right now so I don't get too aggressive with it.
Ok sounds good- Chris Hogeland originally built the 109 stroker engine in my car about seven years ago for the guy I bought it from. I"ve seen then made several changes to the engine but I still utilize his cam shaft profile. My best ET in the 1/8 mile @ the TB.com Nationals in May was 6.30 @ 110. Cal Hartline tunes my FAST and helps me with analizing the fuel/timing curves. I run 93/Alky race/ street tune on the car. To answer your question about the class that yr car would fit in- mostly its really determined by the turbo size/compressor cover. I run 6766 BB with an E compressor cover- which fits in all three class that I currently run. You can look up the rules concerning any class via the board- example: THS/TAI/TPB/TTS/TSA.

Haulz A

My car is so heavy I doubt it can be competitive in any class. However, I will buy a tech card and support the event and have some fun. It runs 6.90s at the moment with a 6262 at 24 psi on 18" Nittos. I am being conservative so I don't break it. It is a great little street engine that I want to put in a different car when he has the other ready.

View attachment 305181 View attachment 305182
View attachment 305183
I know a lot has been discussed with the PTC 9.5 and it's street driven characteristics - mainly heat. I thought I would give some real world experience to possibly help someone make their decision. Here is some data from This past Saturday night. This is in a 3776# car with the air on and cruise set. The shots are after driving through stop and go traffic in town where the max temp I saw was 173*. The drive to the track was 45 minutes. I made 4 passes in the car, the last 2 were approximately 30 minutes apart and I got hung out a bit and was on the trans brake for 6 seconds. Max temp was 201*.
Does your converter have a sprague in it?