Powertrax problems-anyone using this?

Just got back from mailing it, $17.65!! with insurance at the post office. From everything I saw, installation was right, and drivers gap measured correctly, within tolerances. I should hear something from them by the end of next week, they should diagnose within a couple days of receiving it. Ramin wins again?! We can still bug him about other things such as his racing setup, Cheap Bastard Racing. Although, I think Doggett may give Ramin a lot of competition in that department.

Update, spoke to tech rep

They should have had the Powertrax unit a week, so I called to find out what they had found out. The tech rep was unable to speak to the engineer at that moment, but the coded diagnosis sheet listed surface failure on the right driver as the problem. It is covered by their limited warranty since the installation was correct.

I asked several questions about the material and they buy the Zytanium (marketing name) material from a supplier and manufacture their own product. He said the material is supposed to be a 60 Rockwell hardness, apparently about as high as anything. I asked him if my Powertrax unit was manufactured in a Lot with a lower hardness, and he said that may have been the case.

The end result is that they are sending a new unit I should recieve sometime next week. So I am happy about that and will update when I get the unit installed and tested.

update, powertrax production

I called to speak with the Powertrax tech support rep today. They received the unit about 3 weeks ago. According to their rep, the 8.5 inch GM rear dif unit is being manufactured at this time. He did say last time it was on a backorder, but I did not think it would take this long. The new units will be ready in about two weeks and a new one shipped to me.

He said warranty obligations are filled first and then the remainder are shipped to the suppliers. According to him, suppliers are out of stock at this time. Anyone tried to order one from Summit lately? He said this unit is very popular and utilizes the same couplers as the unit that fits into many early 80's model trucks and some other newer rear difs. So my GN will be resting awhile longer.

I left a message for the tech rep at Powertrax today. I feel they should have sent a new unit by now, I sent it in early November (see previous threads). So I will wait for a call for a day or so, then if not much happens, I will have to follow up with more aggressive actions. Hopefully it is just a technicality for not getting a new unit by now as explained by my previous posts.

I had originally told the tech rep Ken that I had a thread posted on TB.com, so I hope Powertrax has followed this thread. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to get my replacement unit? This is a simple matter that is easily resolved, and it would be unfortunate if stronger measures are necessary.

I've had the HP unit in my car for over 4 years now and have nothing but good luck with it! I used the heavier springs and a thinner weight oil for quick operation. I've been putting over 600 ft/lbs through this unit for 2 years now and ALWAYS spin both tires evenly. They way I understand it is, both wheels should always spin equally like a locker in straight line operation, and only unlock in turns. Mine was very noisy for about 1000 miles and is now very quite. PT will replace a broken unit for $90. Good luck to ya.

PWR TRAX PROBS

Tim, did the power braking "test" take place w/ an air bag in place and inflated?? If not, perhaps unloading the rt side tire w/ torque application could cause an unequal tire speed, thus the transfer of power to the LS tire.
Secondly, was the "test" done w/ a line loc or were you using the foot brake?? Footbrake could cause a problem if the rear wheel shoes are not at the same degree of adjustment.
We use a PT in a 12 flat LT-1 Camaro w/ a 6 speed. We use slicks and some 5000+ launches. But then we obviously don't power brake either;) The PT was a bit noisey on turns for a short time, then became quiet and no more problems. Can't say the same for the puny-assed ring and pinion!!!:mad:

Back to shovelling the damn snow!!! Like 5" of it. Now that WILL really make your PT slip!!!:eek:

we are also enjoying a real funny show!! hillbillys on ice!!!:D

Joe and Chuck, thanks for the replies. Joe, I had spoke to you by email about buying the Powertrax. Mine is the no-slip system and I know yours is the full locker. I do believe that the unit I had the surface failure with was from a lower hardness batch of the material they use to make them with.

Chuck, I do not have air bags on the GN. I do powerbrake but I know from looking at the passenger side driver that there is enough (not real bad) surface failure/ rounding of the teeth to cause loss of power to the passenger rear tire. I just want to get the replacement unit to my door, install it and get the car off the darn jack stands!

PWR TRAX

Tim, we have a unit on order for another GN 8.5 . The bad news is: The damn thing is on the famous " national backorder" list too!! Ever wonder what that means???:confused: If it's on backorder, it's on BO!! period. What does the additon of "national" have to do with it???:mad:

Yea Chuck, that's the same story I got, national backorder. The story I got was that this 8.5 unit fits early 80's trucks also, so they are sold out. Or at least some of the parts like the drivers fit. Anyway, they said warranty orders will be filled first before shipments to the distributers. I hope it's soon!!:mad:

Will be shipped on Friday 2-15-02

Update--Finally!! Just spoke to the tech rep and my new unit will be shipped out and I should receive it within a week from Friday. Apparently there were some material problems, they buy the material from a supplier and new unit production was slowed. I will let everyone know when I receive it.

I will be glad to get it installed and drive the car again. Have not driven it since last early November. I charged the battery yesterday and the GN fired right up.

Hallelujah!! It has arrived!!

Recieved the PT replacement today. Going to try to install it next weekend. I will let everyone know the results. Not sure of any exact reasons it took over 4 months to get a replacement except the backorder story.

Chuck L., did your order for the PT come in?

One mistake I made was to send the pinion shaft retaining bolt in with the warranty unit. It had some wear on it anyway. So I checked GMpartsdirect with no luck, and will try GM dealership tomorrow, maybe even AutoZone. Does anyone have one of these for sale or could direct me to a better source?

PT ARRIVAL??

Ours is a "promo item" and as yet has not shown up.. we'll probably be far down on the pole to get one as there's most likely a BUNCH of warranty units to ship first.:(

As for the pin. I just bought 2 at the CHEBBY dlr.. about a buck a piece!! Took the old 1 in, the parts man walked out w/ 2 in about a minute. Evidently VERY popular!!

HTH,

Powertrax is IN

Just installed the replacement unit. One question for any Powertrax users....when you tested it, without the cover on, by holding one rear tire forwarrd and rotating the opposite tire backward, did it unlock easily. I have not got mine to unlock with this test they recommend. My drivers gap checked out with the small spacer tool provided. Otherwise, I am going to fill it with rear dif oil and test it on the road this weekend.

Powertrax tested good

Fillled it with dif fluid and took it out for the test drive. These units are very noisy for the first few miles but the noise quiets down after 30 miles or so. It is working well, I powerbraked it once. It's been so long since I've driven the car, I forgot how rough it rides. Of course, springs, shocks, and frame braces are about next on the list. There's always something, right!

Trying to get the tranny to shift better now. Ever since I replaced the pan and fluid, it has acted differently. May have to put a TCC solenoid on it. Going to reset the TV cable to factory settings to see if that helps.

Thanks to everyone that helped out with my Powertrax problems. I started this thread in October 2001! I spoke to the Powertrax tech rep today and he said that they had some trouble with machining on some of the center pin areas (high ridges, he said) that led to the coupler and driver teeth not maintaining full contact. Hence the material surface failure and Powertrax partial failure as described in previous posts. Sounds believable to me, but who knows...I'm just glad to get a lengthy problem resolved and the GN back on the road for good weather.

When performing the test (if my memory serves me right) it did not take a huge amount of strength to make the opposite tire release. When I first ordered mine years ago, there was a hold-up due to a materials shortage (metal for center pin). The rep tried to sell me the other unit which he did say was not as strong, but still strong enough for my motor in his opinion. I opted to hold out for the HD unit and glad I did! It's been in there for a few years of trouble free operation. I ALWAYS have a 2 tire burnout and dead straight launches:) Good luck to ya.

New Info-Old Thread

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Secondly, was the "test" done w/ a line loc or were you using the foot brake?? Footbrake could cause a problem if the rear wheel shoes are not at the same degree of adjustment.
After a long winter project of rear brakes, wheel cyl, and all new front suspension (with POR 15:)), I took the car out for some "testing" :D . The reason I am posting is due to better results with the Powertrax No-Slip. Although on a slick roadway surface it only shows the left drivers side tire mark, there were several times I could see and "feel" both tires working. Wow, two black stripes after all this! I have street tires now, Nitto DRs were worn out.

I can only think that the new rear brakes (stock ones were thin and cracked), created some of my troubles with the left only tire mark. I am more satisfied with the product now, but still definitely prefer the G80 on the Red T.

Re: Powertrax is IN

Originally posted by tim87tr
Just installed the replacement unit. One question for any Powertrax users....when you tested it, without the cover on, by holding one rear tire forwarrd and rotating the opposite tire backward, did it unlock easily. I have not got mine to unlock with this test they recommend. My drivers gap checked out with the small spacer tool provided. Otherwise, I am going to fill it with rear dif oil and test it on the road this weekend.

We put one in my son's MCSS (with GN rear axle) a few months ago. We had a little trouble installing it (I need to rewrite their install manual - LOL), but it went together as advertised. We tried testing it without the wheels, but couldn't unlock it. After putting the wheels on, it still took a fair amount of torque to unlock it. After 3 months of driving, you only know it's there if you try powering out of a turn. :eek: