Powermaster problem

TURBO2

I have an 86 GN with the Powermaster. It has a new accumulator and pressure switch. There is no warning light on but the pump motor runs continuously. There appears to be foam in the brake fluid, so does this mean the pump has an internal leak so pressure cannot build high enough? If I couldn't here the pump running I would never know there was a problem because the brakes work fine.

Likely an internal master cylinder leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it worth the money to put in a new master cylinder, or should I just convert it to Hydroboost?

Kirban's sells a master cylinder seal kit with most of the seals needed for a complete rebuild. Doesn't include the primary and secondary stage seals but those don't handle the boosting, they just do the braking.

re-assembly has to be super clean. use compressed air after washing to blow away any lint.

If you have a new accumulator and brake switch, it would have to be internally in the master cylinder, so follow all the good advice mention above. I know buick didn't think the power master through, an anticipated the problems that it would possessed, but me myself I am a fan of that brake system. I know a lot of members will disagree with me. But if you service the powermaster system regular and I have for thirty years with no problems. Now RCG alone with John Norton have written a book on every aspect on the Power master brake system, a must have if your planning on keeping that system .Good luck my Buick friend..

If you have a new accumulator and brake switch, it would have to be internally in the master cylinder, so follow all the good advice mention above. I know buick didn't think the power master through, an anticipated the problems that it would possessed, but me myself I am a fan of that brake system. I know a lot of members will disagree with me. But if you service the powermaster system regular and I have for thirty years with no problems. Now RCG alone with John Norton have written a book on every aspect on the Power master brake system, a must have if your planning on keeping that system .Good luck my Buick friend..

All great advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like mine too. I have two that have been reliable for more than 10 years.
2 things that help a lot:
- when parking the car for more than a day or so, depressurize the system by gently pumping the brakes 15-20 times with the key off. having the system depressurized when it's not in use helps the parts/seals/switch to last a long time.
- service the reservoirs with fresh clean brake fluid every 12 months.