Power Injection Idiot light?

nickd2689

On my 84 Turbo Regal it has an indicator lamp that just says Power injection. I Believe its on the right side and its green, but its never lit up. Does it just come on when you put the petal to the metal or what? Just wondering.

they are just one of the cookie cutter lights that were included with the dash. There were plans of water or alky injection that never materialized.

Razor's alky kit takes advantage of the blank spot by adding a let behind it that lights when his alky kit starts to inject!

Yours probably has no light or wiring behind it, just a dead spot.

The myth is that the light was to be used if they decided to go with alcohol injection for the 84/85 cars from the factory. There was testing done during that time period but they did not go with it for production cars.

From the factory that light is not supposed to light up but some 84/85 guys who have installed alcohol injection have made it functional.

Same thing I have heard, is that originally an alky injection set up from the factory was going to go in and that was where the "pump on" bulb would go.

If you buy a Razors alky set up that's where the "pump on" bulb goes.

The "car is leveling" lamp I believe was for diesel powered models, i could be wrong though.

yea I have the car is leveling light too, is there any way you think I could set up the Power Injection lamp to illuminate under a certain pressure of boost? I think that'd be cool. I know I would need to run a bulb back there and splice it in with a power source, I just dont know what I could use to switch it on and off.

yeah, you could figure out something with a quick trip to radio shack. Just hook up to a pressure switch of some kind and tee it into a vacuum line. Run some wires, buy a light, and go to town. Razor's kit, already mentioned, does something like this run off a map sensor.

Could also fab up a switch on the accelerator pedal that comes on when you push on it 3/4 of the way....sort of like how the older cars that came factory with a TH400 used that type of switch tot ell the trans to downshift....the pressure switch mentioned is probably a better idea.

I had actually considered the same thing just for ****s and giggles. Then I got my Razors alky kit and had a better use. :cool:

this thread made me go out and pull the cover off the Regal enough to get inside and look in the owner's manual to see what it had to say. it showed the "power injection" light, but gave no description of what it was supposed to be for.
was this something that was in only the '84 cars, or did they leave it in every Regal made thru the '87 model year?

i did notice, however, that it said what the "low fuel" light did, and stated that it was an option. it's kind of neat the stuff that makes it into the manuals that doesn't make it into production, and what they leave out.

No, they are on all gn's, regals, some cadillacs of the time, etc. GNX had it's own dash. The leveling one was used in sedans that would self level with people or heavy loads in the trunk. The low fuel light is also used by Razor's kit.

This is why I used the term cookie cutter dash in the first reply, they are used in many of GM's cars, same dash.

were they also on the 81-83 dashes, or just 84 and newer?
i can understand keeping the other spaces for all the model years- they actually got used- but why not eliminate the "power injection" space in the model years after it was eliminated? i guess it's one of those things where it cost less to just keep it than to get rid of it..
just think, if they had gotten rid of that spot after the '84 model year, the 84 lens covers would be worth more...

Digital dash car?

Curious about your car... what other options it may have.

"Could also fab up a switch on the accelerator pedal that comes on when you push on it 3/4 of the way....sort of like how the older cars that came factory with a TH400 used that type of switch to tell the trans to downshift....the pressure switch mentioned is probably a better idea."

I converted to a switch pitch turbo 400 years ago... there is no overdrive, but it is unbreakable, and it has a wonderful stall speed. :D

was this something that was in only the '84 cars, or did they leave it in every Regal made thru the '87 model year?

I know my 1984 Regal had the "power injection" lamp that didn't work...it wasn't a turbo car either. I'd say at least all 1984-87 models had this.

In fact all of the lamps my 87 Regal turbo has, my 84 Regal n/a had. ;)

Curious about your car... what other options it may have.

my car? it's a low optioned 84 t type. essentially just the base turbo car with a rear window defogger, tach/boost gauge (still works and seems pretty accurate) and G80 positraction rear. uncomfortable split bench seat, non tilt column, manual windows and locks, no cruise control. someone ordered the car as a stripped down racer, apparently. except for the rock hard and too tall seats, it's just the way i like it.

I know my 1984 Regal had the "power injection" lamp that didn't work...it wasn't a turbo car either. I'd say at least all 1984-87 models had this.

In fact all of the lamps my 87 Regal turbo has, my 84 Regal n/a had. ;)
yeah, i assume that all 84-87 Regals -except the GNX- have the same dash, regardless of options and trim level. the only options being the tach/boost gauge. they just leave out bulbs that don't apply- no sense spending 10 cents to put a bulb in the "car is leveling" slot if the car didn't have the auto leveling suspension.

If any of your cars have the digital dash option there are actually 2 turbo boost lights that light up in the lower right of the instrument cluster. They get their reading from the MAP sensor under the hood on the passenger side fender.

My '85 Riv T-Type has the same dash as the G-bodies; it has air shocks & the "Car is Leveling" light pops up when you start car & the air shocks adjust.
The Riv. came w/ a spare extra motor & am thinking about hooking it up to my GN when I put the airbags on :rolleyes:
Heck, might eve hook the power inj to my alky...

D:cool:

Those are some good ideas, I think when i get the car running, I will get the pressure switch, but yea that would be cool if they had taken it out after 84, because the more rare our cars are, the more we can get for em lol.

wire it to the map

hey, you could always wire it to the map or the hobs switch if you got a digital dash. Then it would come on when your turbo power lights come on..... I finally got both of my boost lights on the dash to light up ones orange and ones yellow. Turboooooooooooooooo powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had plan to do this, get a Meth/alky kit and install a indicator light in that Power injection when it turns on:cool: