over-torque valve covers?

ttribejr

When I did my valve springs late last year, i replaced my cork gaskets with the Fel Pro number people talk about on this form. The metal/rubber one. I torqued it to spec (can't remember what that was) but they both leak ever since.

Is the cork better or do you guys just tighten them down harder? Yes surfaces are clean and clear when installed. stock heads, stock valve covers.

You can try torqueing them down a little more. I have always used the cork gaskets and never had a problem.

I found the metal part of the gasket interfered with the gasket retaining rib on the inside of the valve cover at the corners (I forget if top or bottom). I trimmed the metal on the inside of the gasket (where the P/N is stamped) with a tin snips for clearance. I haven't ran it yet due to converter, rear trans seal and U joint replacement.

The metal part may deflect enough to seal if tight enough, I noticed the interference before I had it together and trimmed it.

Oops, wrong quote.

I like cork on heads that have a rough cast finish like ours. Cork just fills the voids better than rubber can. ( ESP reinforced rubber).

Plain ole FelPro corks glued to the valve covers. Snug them up once a day for about 3 days and then it's good to go.

When I built my engine last year I replaced a set of FelPro corks that I installed in '98. Never leaked a drop for almost 20 years.

Last edited:
I put the regular rubber ones on back in the late 90's and had them off several times. I replaced them when I built the engine in 2012 and put the GN1 valve covers on. Still no leaks ever.

I used cork style on a V-8 build a while back. Sprayed the top of the gasket with a gasket sealer/adhesive. I then laid the gaskets out on a piece of glass & carefully placed the valve covers on top while making sure that alignment was correct. After the sealant had dried, the gaskets were firmly attached to the sheet steel style valve covers. I then smeared a very light coating of grease onto the head side of the gaskets & installed onto the heads. I checked the fasteners several times after the initial torque sequence. I found that the gasket had compressed & the fasteners needed to be re-torqued. Probably checked & re-torqued at least 5-6 times over the next couple of days. It finally stabilized & I have zero leaks.

If you are using the Felpro PermaDryPlus rubber/metal gaskets on OEM heads it will not work. They only work on Champion/TA style heads that have the mating surface machined flat.
Part no. BTW is VS 50156 T.
These work fantastic with Champ/TA heads.