Opinions wanted: TE45a or GT70P

GNVAIR

I have both of these here. The TE45a is a P trim with 3" inlet and just removed from my father's car. The GT70P I bought on a whim about 9 years ago and never used. It has a 4" inlet.
Also have the supporting hardware built engine, Eagle crank and rods, steel caps, Champion irons, DLS roller, T&D's, old 9x11 convertor. Have a Razors alky set up, a set of 60lb injectors and a set of 72's.
I suppose mid 10's are the goal. Car is 90% street and still full weight with air, etc. You know the drill.
Pro's and con's to each would be appreciated. Thanks!

Run the 45a. Everything equal it should spool fastier and easily meet your goals. I have a 45a on the car I took to the GS nats this year and it ran 10.2s at 23 pounds of boost. Hope that helps.

The difference is the amount of mass flow potential. The t66 is good for 750hp or slightly more on an purpose built engine. The t70 is good to about 900hp. They both use the same 76 p trim turbine and it seems to stall around 78-80lbs/min. So around 800-820hp. So in reality the 70p is a slight mismatch of wheels and the 45a could be bettered by slightly more compressor. The t67 is the best compromise on the old garrett stuff. They spool about the same with the t66 a little better but not too noticeable. The info i posted is for use with a Garrett .82 or precision .85 ex housing on a decent combo where the cam and converter are working best with at least 90% of the turbos potential being used up. All are good for 135+mph. John Crawford has set the standard with the 6776 around 139mph?

It's what I run. 45a 3/2 turbo with P trim and old 9/11 3000 stall with 80# inj and alky. I use TT 6 chip with AEM wideband correction at WOT and LS7 MAF for cruising. Spoolup is instant with pump gas up to 7 psi before the alky starts spraying. I'm seeing less than a second from 0 psi to 20+ psi boost on the powerlogger.

It's what I run. 45a 3/2 turbo with P trim and old 9/11 3000 stall with 80# inj and alky. I use TT 6 chip with AEM wideband correction at WOT and LS7 MAF for cruising. Spoolup is instant with pump gas up to 7 psi before the alky starts spraying. I'm seeing less than a second from 0 psi to 20+ psi boost on the powerlogger.
I was curious. Do you lock your 9x11 at WOT?

What rpm/gear do you lock it at?

Not sure, it takes a second for it to lock, somewhere in 2nd gear or halfway through 3rd by the time it locks up. It's like after-burners. At 19 psi last week I picked up 27.3mph from 1-8 to 1/4 mph. Sometimes I just hit the switch at the line so it can lock as soon as it can, which is when it shifts into 2nd gear I think.

TurboTnZ06 said:
Not sure, it takes a second for it to lock, somewhere in 2nd gear or halfway through 3rd by the time it locks up. It's like after-burners. At 19 psi last week I picked up 27.3mph from 1-8 to 1/4 mph. Sometimes I just hit the switch at the line so it can lock as soon as it can, which is when it shifts into 2nd gear I think.
A converter that could couple that in 1st ad 2nd would be worth quite a bit here.

Run the 45a. Everything equal it should spool fastier and easily meet your goals. I have a 45a on the car I took to the GS nats this year and it ran 10.2s at 23 pounds of boost. Hope that helps.

Kip: I would like to know some more about Excessive Acceleration. Googled it looking for a website and got 10 pages of folks bitching about traffic tickets.

Ran 10.42 @ 129.7 with 1.48 60 ft. last night on 23#'s of boost and 93 and alky in a 3720# GN.

Email is pengle@cox.net.

Thanks.

Phil Engle