Oil temperature?

Whitettype86

Young William
What is the temperature that oil starts to break down? What is the best oil to get that takes high heat but does not break down into mud?

I believe it starts around 270 degreees for dino. oil.

I'm a somebody but not an expert somebody. ;)

I think synthetic has much higher stability temps. :)

Your oil should only run 230 tops or so normal driving and summer and A/C and beating on it... :D

Originally posted by Whitettype86
What is the temperature that oil starts to break down? What is the best oil to get that takes high heat but does not break down into mud?

There are a whole new group of standards for oil.
The line from syn to dino is a blur now.
I'd keep it under 250dF, reguardless of what brand, or type.

Fresh oil is a million times more important then brand, or type. And the 3K interval is advertising hype, it's useage that counts. GN driven by a lil ol man will do just fine at 4-5K intervals. 12 passes a week, and monthly is what's needed.

Thanks guys. I still need alot more input cause I'm going to
drive my car on the street but don't want to fry the bearings.
My N/a 4.1 motor has hard block in it and its filled 1/4 from the deck. So my the only cooling I'm getting is the top of the rings and the heads. I was wondering what kind of oil, Red line syn,
or Royal purple syn, Mobil One syn? I'm going to have a digital
oil temp gage and was wondering were should I locate the
sending unit? U can see my buildup down by my sign.

My autometer mechanical sending unit is large and plumbed into the oil cooler adapter, not sure if it's send or return.

As long as it stays below 220 I don't care. :) Usually below or at 190 or so normal driving.

How far can I drive my car with hardblock
or should I use my other motor that does'nt have hardblock? The motor with the hardblock is almost done with the machine work which will save me money. The other block needs to be prep and all the machine work done. :rolleyes:

the amsoil is good stuff but I stick with mobil 1. anyone have experience with the new mobil 1 tri syn stuff???

dino oil works well too but I like the high temp safety margin synthetic provides. it cooks (ie cokes) at a higher temp and the turbo bearings are very hot even when you idle the turbo a bit before shut down (good idea).

never shut the car down right after wot without a brief cool down. your turbo will thank you.