Oil in inlet of turbo...how long till it needs to be replaced??

Dr. Jeckel

The breather line from the valve cover has been replaced with just a filter/breather. I took off the maf pipe yesterday and there was a little stream of oil in the inlet bell. It had not made it to the end of the bell yet and was sitting overnight before i saw it. How bad is this or is it somewhat normal. I shouldn't think you want any oil leaking into your intake air. How much longer before it goes out if this is bad? It is a stock turbo with about 60,000 miles on it (this is what I was told when i bought it). Will it cause any damage, since the car is used just for transportaion right now?

If I have to get another one I would like to get the TA49 and 42.5# injectors. Would this work well together?

Thanks, James.

Could this be causing knock at low boost? I pulled the old y-pipe off the turbo to put on the atr bleeder valve and the side going into the turbo had quite abit of oil on it. How much longer can I expect the turbo to keep going?

If you clean it often... years perhaps 20-30K.

If not it may take out your MAF if the oil migrates to it.

It can cause knock as well.

Look at it every two weeks and report back how much is in there.

Might be worth cleaning out the intercooler as well at this time.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just one of those people who hate to have problems with their cars. If there is a problem I want to fix it. I think i'm just going to get a rebuilt one or upgrade. Thanks, you helped me make up my mind, James

The TA49 will work well with 42.5 injectors.

I would get the 50's or new 57's however and spend once.

50's are better and easier to burn chips for. 57's are becoming more popular as well.

However there are tons of used 42's out there for sale cheap.

Just have to get a good chip for them.

Hi-Z 55/57s and Eric at www.turbotweak.com

The programming for the new 55/57s is essentially the very same as for the "old" 55s...just a difference of impedance, basically.

Eric at www.turbotweak.com has great things to say about the new 55/57s, and makes an excellent chip for them. :)

I asked a friend about my oil problem and he said that the stock turbo leaks a little oil. He said not to worry about it until it blows black smoke while driving. The car blows black smoke for a couple seconds after startup (takes about 4-5 seconds of cranking before it will start). Does this sound about right. Maybe i'm being to parinoid about it but oil in places where I don't think it should be bothers me. What are some other opinions?
Thanks, James

As long as it don't reach the $$$ MAF sensor you will be fine.

You will experience higher KR at WOT as the oil is going into the throttle body and in the combustion chamber.

Like I said if kept reasonably cleaned out you could get a couple of years out of it.

Stock turbos don't leak normally and you will get blue smoke out of it only when the exhaust side is leaking oil. Not black.

You are leaking on the compressor side and shouldn't be in a normal working turbo.

It is just starting nothing to get paranoid about just some good advice. ;)

Thanks. I'll take all the advice and knowledge that i can get. i absolutely can't stand uncertainty and unknowns...especially in cars. Problem of mine that i'm working on:)

I think i'll watch it for a while and see how it prograsses. Thanks for all the help!!