No tail lights

87BuickT

Have brake, turn signals all around, hazzards. No tail lights or running lights....how ever you wanna call em. Dash lights work.

20 amp "tail lp" fuse is good. All bulbs in the rear have been replaced. the 2057 bulbs work but the 194 bulbs to not.

OK Just to sum it up.

Head lights: work
Front and rear turn signals: work
Brake lights: work
Dash lights: work

Took out the dash bezel and pulled the headlight switch. I removed it from the housing, cleaned the connectors and plugged it into the connector.....solid connection. Tail light still does not work.

There is power to the tail light fuse. I swapped out the fuse for the hell of it. With the fuse out....I put a volt meter and got 12v. With the fuse in....I used a fuse tester and got a green light saying the fuse was good. Could not get 12v from the back of the fuse. Not sure if that is normal or not. Hard to get the voltmeter leads on the back of the fuse.

Kinda confused. Looked up the bulb chart on the sylvania site. It says the 2057 bulbs are the tail lights and the 194 are the turn signals. When I hit the turn signals....the 2057 bulbs are blinking. Is this correct?

Just to make sure. With the brake off...no turn signals.....no hazards. If I turn the headlights on......both the 2057 and the 194 should light up or just the 194?

It sounds like you have a blown fuse, the same thing happened to me and I had all the symptoms you have and I checked all the fuses and found one that was blown.

You may want to check all the fuses before you go tearing into wiring and such because although I couldn't read which fuse it was I believe it was not the tail light fuse.

Electrical ghosts can be mind blowing even to an electrician. But if there is one thing that I have learned is this, "if every outlet checks out good and the complete system or circuit does not respond like it did before the ghost problem showed up start looking for a return or neutral problem. Electrical problems are found sometimes by the process of elimination. When you reach the end of your search and a problem of any kind, even sometimes hard to explain, still exists, YOU HAVE A GHOST.

Make sure all of the grounds on the inner fender by battery are hooked up. I had one fall down after a battery change and didnt realize it was off and all sorts of bizarre lighting issues arose.

Here's a diagram of the fusebox,there are four different fuses for different light functions.
The fuse circled in green is for the dash lights.
The fuse circled in red is for the tail lights.
The two fuses circled in blue are for brake lights and turn signals.
lights.JPG

OK Just to sum it up.

Head lights: work
Front and rear turn signals: work
Brake lights: work
Dash lights: work

Took out the dash bezel and pulled the headlight switch. I removed it from the housing, cleaned the connectors and plugged it into the connector.....solid connection. Tail light still does not work.

There is power to the tail light fuse. I swapped out the fuse for the hell of it. With the fuse out....I put a volt meter and got 12v. With the fuse in....I used a fuse tester and got a green light saying the fuse was good. Could not get 12v from the back of the fuse. Not sure if that is normal or not. Hard to get the voltmeter leads on the back of the fuse.

Kinda confused. Looked up the bulb chart on the sylvania site. It says the 2057 bulbs are the tail lights and the 194 are the turn signals. When I hit the turn signals....the 2057 bulbs are blinking. Is this correct?
Just an FYI....you don't have to get to the back of the fuse to check it. Look on the front of the fuse where the amps of it is stamped,
to the left and to the right of the number is where you can test the fuse from the front. They look like little slots and they are the other
end of the spades which plug into the fuse box. Test both sides to be sure it's good.

Are your front running lights out also ??
Where are you located ?

Last edited:
INST LP good
TAIL LP good
STOP HAX good
TURN B/U good
ALL are Getting power
Front markers (194) are working.
Wire from neg battery to the fender is attached.

Replaced the fuses just incase.

At the inside rear of the trunk on the driver's side there is a multi-wire connector for your rear tail lights, brake lights and the fuel pump.

Check that connector for terminal corrosion or a loose pin or broken wire?

The third brake light in the rear window is on a different circuit, and since brake/turn signal are on the same circuit, this also runs through the turn signal switch in the steering column.

Chasing no brake light operation is a real PIA. :(

When the brake is applied the third brake light works as well as all the 2057 bulbs. Just no tail lights with foot OFF the brake and NO turn signals.