newguy has questions on "strengthening the 200-4r", sorry

newguy

First off, let me say sorry for the long post. Its just that I am very interested in learning a little about the 200-4r transmission. I have a lot of questions regarding the strengthaning topic, and since I am new to transmissions, I don’t fully understand all of this so if you can help feed a hungry mind, I will be very gratefull!!!
I will need help in discription of some of the procedures, and then identifying some of the parts, I have a haynes manual to reference but it uses different part namesf from the article.
here is a link to the diagram I have been studing
http://www.geocities.com/iamwillywanka/200-4Ra.html
CASE:
Always make sure surface is FLAT and in good shape. Using solvent or water , a 2X4 board, as a block, will work with wet/dry sand paper, 400 grit, and just go over to assure the surface is flat and has no burrs or divots in aluminum surfaces. Q#1(Isnt it bad to use sandpaper due to the chance of the miniscule sand getting in the case? If not due to good cleaning do you wet sand or dry sand?)

PARK GEAR:
We install a Torrington low drag bearing. Q#2(is that part #100?)

LOW PLANET:
No problems but new roller clutch is suggested. Q#3(is that part #96?)

LOW REVERSE CENTER SUPPORT:
This washer, Center Support to Sun Shell, is the most common to fail. Q#4(is this part #82?) PTS installs a roller bearing in the face for more dependability. Q#5(is that in place of the washer or additional to the washer?)

SUN GEAR AND SHELL:
Use stock OEM hardened shell. Q#6(is that how it came from the factory, or will it need to be purchased)

FRONT PLANET:
Ck for washer side pinion wear. Drill out lube hole to increase lube to bearing and pinions by three or four sizes. Q#7(drill which piece, # please)

*FORWARD DRUM: Q#8(is that part #72 or 57)
We also replace the plastic thrust washer with a bearing. Q#9(part number 56 or 71)

*DIRECT DRUM: Q#10(part #43?)
The direct drum must be within .030 of original diameter.Q#11(what is the original diameter?) In ring bore, no ring cavities can be present. Q#12(Is that just a groove that has etched itself in from a bearing?)Teflon rings are recommended and almost a must.
Q#13(do these replace part #45?)

BANDS AND RELATED:
We have tried and tested all kinds of bands. Q#14(is this part #41?)

CENTER SUPPORT:
Another common 2-3 flair Q#15(what is the 2-3 flair and simptoms) Ring land wear. Q#16(sorry, but can any one discribe apperance because I am dense) Teflon bushing is used in direct drum. Q#17(does that replace part #35?) All ports are checked for crossleaks. Q#18(sorry, dense again) All should do this. For street/strip cars the killer street unit has a large bearing Q#19(is this part #39?, and is it not large to start with or will I need to install a larger one?) on the center support between drum and center support. The center support is crossed drilled Q#20(is there a current hole that you enlarge or do you drill a new hole?) for lube and then polished. Q#21(dense but what do you polish it with?) A bearing is cut into the front for contact with OD ring gear. Again less parasitic drag. No real strength gain, less drag, less friction.

OVERDRIVE RING GEAR:
The OD ring gear Q#22(is that part #28?)

*3+4 CLUTCH
4th clutch, a 3 clutch piston Q#23(is that part #33?) should be used (2 is stock). Q#24(is it just the piston or # of clutches also) A stock cut to .070 will work just fine. Q#25(who would I bring this to who would know how to do this? Machinest, tranny shop?)

OR CLUTCH
No changes needed.Just ck weld at front. Q#26(check weld on which piece?)

*OVERDRIVE PLANET: Q#27(is that part #24?)

INPUT SHAFT:
There are two designs of input shafts stock. First is the "blind spline" type. With these, the planet splines kinda spline into the bearing journal . The other has a distinct "grove" between splines and journal. Q#28(are there any pics of the two different kinds by chance?) Always use hand fit one piece solid teflon rings. Q#29(does that replace part #4?)

*PUMP BODY: First, never use a pump body twice unless you are reinstalling the SAME pump rotor,slide,and veins, Q#30(so if I want to upgrade to a 10 vane pump I SHOULD get a new pump body?)
that came out of the running trans.

Use only GM parts ...slide,rotor,veins,all purchased at the same time, all measured at the same time. Q#31(who measures for what? If they are the same size as the old ones? Does GM sell them all together that are messured with each other?)10 Vein is more than enough. The Chrome Moly ring kits have been known to be a little rough too. We wet sand with 600 over glass Q#32(why over glass? Less chance of contamination?) in solvent the flat edges and then fine wire wheel the circumferance. It is imperitive that the pump rotor and slide are measured very carefully. They MUST be within .002 of the pump cavity depth. Q#33(how to measure this and need a little more detail, for I am getting denser by the minute) :rolleyes:
If you have a good pump body Q#34(how do you know? If there are no scoring marks?) and have the ability to measure it to the thousandth, you could play rotor roulette and get your calipers out and measure 50 slides and rotors before you get two that would fit, PERFECTLY. Q#35(do you mean if the measure the same as the old ones?) AND, you could probobly pull it of, but it is not exact.
Ok, now we modify the pump return Q#36(is that hidden behind the front seal?) hole by drilling it to 9/64ths. From both directions.
Assemble all pump rotor parts in , of all things, Cam shaft install lube. The red stuff.
Q#37(is there cam lube that is red? Does that hurt the tranny or is it kind like petro jelly, or do you change the atf fluid after tranny has been run for a little while?)
*PUMP STATOR:
A hardned stator should always be installed. Q#38(are the hardened from the factory, or is that only an aftermarket piece?) (maybe if I can spare the extra $ I should just buy the pump ass. From bruce)
38 question in one post!!!! :eek: please dont ban me for so many questions.
I just cant stop thinking about this stuff. I stayed up till almost 3am because I couldnt sleep because of SO many questions. If I am good and willing to be a good student, will you members be my technical advisors? thank you, thank you, thank you
FEED ME MORIS (little shop of horrors)
NEED INPUT(short circut)

My $.02

I'LL ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS USING ALL CAPS TO MAKE IT EASY--NOT SHOUTING. YOU NEED TO DISASSEMBLE A TRANNIE AND MUCH THAT YOU ASK WOULD BE OBVIOUS.

First off, let me say sorry for the long post. Its just that I am very interested in learning a little about the 200-4r transmission. I have a lot of questions regarding the strengthaning topic, and since I am new to transmissions, I don’t fully understand all of this so if you can help feed a hungry mind, I will be very gratefull!!!
I will need help in discription of some of the procedures, and then identifying some of the parts, I have a haynes manual to reference but it uses different part namesf from the article.
here is a link to the diagram I have been studing
http://www.geocities.com/iamwillywanka/200-4Ra.html

I SUGGEST YOU GET AN ATSG MANUAL SO WE ARE ALL READING FROM THE SAME HYMN BOOK--ALSO, IT APPEARS THAT WOULD ANSWER MANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS. TOO MUCH TROUBLE TO USE YOUR REFERENCE. BRUCE HAS THE ATSG MANUAL. OBVIOUSLY YOUR REFERENCE IS WORTHLESS OR YOU WOULD NOT BE ASKING WHICH PART IS WHICH.

CASE:
Always make sure surface is FLAT and in good shape. Using solvent or water , a 2X4 board, as a block, will work with wet/dry sand paper, 400 grit, and just go over to assure the surface is flat and has no burrs or divots in aluminum surfaces. Q#1(Isnt it bad to use sandpaper due to the chance of the miniscule sand getting in the case? If not due to good cleaning do you wet sand or dry sand?) WET OR DRY, THE CASE NEEDS TO BE CLEANED THOROUGHLY. I USE PIECE OF CUT GRANITE ABOUT TWO FEE LONG, ANY NATURAL STONE THAT HAS BEEN CABLE CUT WOULD WORK FINE.

SUN GEAR AND SHELL:
Use stock OEM hardened shell. Q#6(is that how it came from the factory, or will it need to be purchased) ALL GM ARE HARDENED, BRUCE SELLS THIS PART. GOOD IDEA TO REPLACE THIS PART FOR INSURANCE.

FRONT PLANET:
Ck for washer side pinion wear. Drill out lube hole to increase lube to bearing and pinions by three or four sizes. Q#7(drill which piece, # please) I'VE WONDERED THAT MYSELF. BRUCE?

We also replace the plastic thrust washer with a bearing. Q#9(part number 56 or 71) THE FORWARD DRUM IS A KEY PART THAT SHOULD BE PURCHASED FROM PTS.

The direct drum must be within .030 of original diameter.Q#11(what is the original diameter?) I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DIAMETER LISTED ANYWHERE. BUT ALL I'VE SEEN HAVE OBVIOUS WEAR AREAS IF THEY ARE TOO WORN TO BE REUSED.

In ring bore, no ring cavities can be present. Q#12(Is that just a groove that has etched itself in from a bearing?) WHEN YOU PULL THE DIRECT DRUM AND CENTER SUPPORT THE RINGS ON THE CENTER SUPPORT SOMETIMES WEAR DEEP GROOVES INTO THE INSIDE HOLE OF THE DIRECT DRUM--THIS WILL BE OBVIOUS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PARTS IN YOUR HANDS. Teflon rings are recommended and almost a must.

*3+4 CLUTCH
4th clutch, a 3 clutch piston Q#23(is that part #33?) should be used (2 is stock). Q#24(is it just the piston or # of clutches also) A stock cut to .070 will work just fine. Q#25(who would I bring this to who would know how to do this? Machinest, tranny shop?)
BRUCE SELLS THESE FOR LESS THAN A MACHINE SHOP WILL DO THE WORK. JUST SEND HIM A CORE.

OR CLUTCH
No changes needed.Just ck weld at front. Q#26(check weld on which piece?) THE WELD IS OBVIOUS JUST LOOK AT IT CLOSELY.

*PUMP BODY: First, never use a pump body twice unless you are reinstalling the SAME pump rotor,slide,and veins, Q#30(so if I want to upgrade to a 10 vane pump I SHOULD get a new pump body?) YOU SHOULD SEND YOURS TO BRUCE FOR A REWORK, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN A REBUILD AND VIRTUALLY NO TRANNIE SHOPS KNOW HOW OR BOTHER WITH ALL THE STEPS INVOLVED.

From both directions.
Assemble all pump rotor parts in , of all things, Cam shaft install lube. The red stuff.
Q#37(is there cam lube that is red? YES

Does that hurt the tranny NO or is it kind like petro jelly, or do you change the atf fluid after tranny has been run for a little while?) NO

*PUMP STATOR:
A hardned stator should always be installed. Q#38(are the hardened from the factory, or is that only an aftermarket piece?) (maybe if I can spare the extra $ I should just buy the pump ass. From bruce) YES YOU SHOULD.

Last edited by newguy on November 9th, 2002 at 08:15 AM

just another .02

I agree with Clay, disassembling one is much better than trying to desipher pic's and ATSG is also far better too.

SUN GEAR AND SHELL:
Use stock OEM hardened shell. Q#6(is that how it came from the factory, or will it need to be purchased) ALL GM ARE HARDENED, BRUCE SELLS THIS PART. GOOD IDEA TO REPLACE THIS PART FOR INSURANCE.

old ones didn't have them, most new ones do, yo can tell by color but you would need to see hard and non hard side by side to tell hard are darker.

FRONT PLANET:
Ck for washer side pinion wear. Drill out lube hole to increase lube to bearing and pinions by three or four sizes. Q#7(drill which piece, # please) I'VE WONDERED THAT MYSELF. BRUCE?

#75 on the race side that has roller brg and goes into bushing of front internal gear #72 there is a pin hole to feed lube to the bush/brg

We also replace the plastic thrust washer with a bearing. Q#9(part number 56 or 71) THE FORWARD DRUM IS A KEY PART THAT SHOULD BE PURCHASED FROM PTS.

fwd. drum #57 brg # 56 if anything is done with this it would be to get Bruce's

The direct drum must be within .030 of original diameter.Q#11(what is the original diameter?) I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE DIAMETER LISTED ANYWHERE. BUT ALL I'VE SEEN HAVE OBVIOUS WEAR AREAS IF THEY ARE TOO WORN TO BE REUSED.

#43 orig. dia. is the part that is not worn or warped, if it out of that by .030" then it's junk

In ring bore, no ring cavities can be present. Q#12(Is that just a groove that has etched itself in from a bearing?) WHEN YOU PULL THE DIRECT DRUM AND CENTER SUPPORT THE RINGS ON THE CENTER SUPPORT SOMETIMES WEAR DEEP GROOVES INTO THE INSIDE HOLE OF THE DIRECT DRUM--THIS WILL BE OBVIOUS WHEN YOU HAVE THE PARTS IN YOUR HANDS. Teflon rings are recommended and almost a must.

if it has grooves it's junk

*3+4 CLUTCH
BRUCE SELLS THESE FOR LESS THAN A MACHINE SHOP WILL DO THE WORK. JUST SEND HIM A CORE.

piston is cut to allow one more clutch, definatly cheaper to buy Bruces.

OR CLUTCH
No changes needed.Just ck weld at front. Q#26(check weld on which piece?) THE WELD IS OBVIOUS JUST LOOK AT IT CLOSELY.

*PUMP BODY: First, never use a pump body twice unless you are reinstalling the SAME pump rotor,slide,and veins, Q#30(so if I want to upgrade to a 10 vane pump I SHOULD get a new pump body?) YOU SHOULD SEND YOURS TO BRUCE FOR A REWORK, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN A REBUILD AND VIRTUALLY NO TRANNIE SHOPS KNOW HOW OR BOTHER WITH ALL THE STEPS INVOLVED.

From both directions.
Q#37(is there cam lube that is red? YES

Does that hurt the tranny NO or is it kind like petro jelly, or do you change the atf fluid after tranny has been run for a little while?) NO

*PUMP STATOR:
A hardned stator should always be installed. Q#38(are the hardened from the factory, or is that only an aftermarket piece?) (maybe if I can spare the extra $ I should just buy the pump ass. From bruce) YES YOU SHOULD.

Pump should be left alone if it is fine, unless you have the capability to follow this procedure to the letter or again buy drom Bruce

All in all you are understanding the jist of it so far.

Man....

All I have to add is WOW!!!

I think I even learned something there!!!!! :D:D

Thanks guys.

Bruce
WE4

And to the newguy trying to learn, NEVER be afraid to ask, if not, you do not learn....:)

thank you

I will order the atsg manual. I am in the process of looking for a good core(junk yards, or toy stores as I think of them) to tear into for reference also. Then when I feel confident enough, I will contact bruce for advise on parts needed for my level of power (small). thanks again for the answers.:D

HOTTOGO told you..

"*DIRECT DRUM: Q#10(part #43?)

>>>>>>>>#43 orig. dia. is the part that is not worn or warped, if it out of that by .030" then it's junk<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Up near the lugs the original diameter will be there. Look there , you will see the "step"

Bruce
WE4