New sd2 chip question

BTW, cranking is what the starter does during startup. Once the engine fires, that's not cranking.

Amen. Why is it all if a sudden people are using the word "cranking or cranked" to describe start. Makes it very difficult to understand a symptom people are describing. Fueling and programing has nothing to do with cranking lol. If the engine is turning over by use of the starter it's cranking. When people say "takes forever to crank do I adjust crank fuel?" I'm like wth?? I've wanted to post this response for days but didn't. Thanks for bringing it up lol

"When I got to 50 it cranked" makes no sense. I assume you mean "when I got to 50 it started"

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

They are referring to the parameter crank fuel trim . I understood exactly what he was talking about here is a snap shot of my parameter page .

Attachments

• IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
Yes, but to avoid confusion, crank fuel trim has nothing to do with a running engine, and a running engine is NOT cranking.

Yes, but to avoid confusion, crank fuel trim has nothing to do with a running engine, and a running engine is NOT cranking.
And when you say "attempted to crank" or "won't crank" or "hard to crank" we think issues with the actual start system, battery, cables, etc. Although through reading we can figure out what the OP is talking about it makes it difficult for new inexperienced people to learn when they read through these threads.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ok,. I understand how this can be confusing but to make it extremely clear for a newbie.

Please don't think I am trying to be a smarty but when I go and put my key in the ignition tomorrow and turn the key to the front of the car the starter will engage and the engine will spin over but it will not start for about 1-2 minutes of spinning over unless the battery runs down first

Any update? Did you get the wideband fixed? Are the new fuel pumps wired up correctly? Is the regulator in good shape? Are your fuel lines updated to run E85? Do you have a spare ECM or power logger to swap out? Can you post up a power logger file that shows us what's going on while you are cranking the engine over trying to get it to fire up?

Chuck

Update
Added fuel on startup the car will start just about every time on the second try.
What I mean is I turn key on and let fuel pump prime and bump the starter. Turn the key off and immediately attempt to start and it normally does.
It will start on the first attempt without doing this procedure but It takes longer to start than I would like.
Probably needs a little more tweaking but I've been chasing a service engine light that comes on about 3 seconds after the car is started and it throws a code 42. I went through the trouble shooting on vortex-Buick and narrowed it down to
No continuity on terminal b4 but remembered that I have a 2step and checked the connection and the small harness that has the white spliced into b4 was unplugged therefore no continuity.
Plugged it in and no service engine light and no code 42. So I think that was my issue.

I will post a log at idle and have you guys take a look.

I just figured this out tonight.
Injectors are 160s

The problem with the wideband was the grey input wire that plugs into the plx module was pushed out a little it was still in the plug but not making a good connection.

I'm not sure if the second pump is coming on or not. I just installed my old transducer but I really don't know what to look far in the log to see if the second pump is coming on.

One thing that concerns me about the second pump unless it's just quieter than the main pump is if I power it by connecting it to a 12volt source it kinda makes a whining sound. Not the same sound as the main pump. Someone told me that the second pump might be in a different position in the tank making it quieter. I just hope it's not bad

Thanks for checking on me

I'm thinking it so I might as well say it. I hate these cars. Its always something. Although most of the time its simple and probably my fault lol. Probably this time too.

Went to log idle so that you guys could see what it was doing and the car will not run now it will crank but dies immediately I've checked all my connections and can't find out what is going on. The fuel pump is priming and I pulled a plug and it is getting fuel here is a log of me trying to crank the car

Attachments

• 1-11-17 no start.dat
    50.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The only thing I did last nights post and now is put the ecm on the kick panel. I thought maybe I pulled a wire out. But I checked

The only thing I did last nights post and now is put the ecm on the kick panel. I thought maybe I pulled a wire out. But I checked

Take it back off and give it a try, could be a wire/connection issue. I had to replace my ecm connector because of a bad intermittent issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

electrical tape is probably fine since it stretches so easily it wont keep pressure on the PL.

sideways pressure on the PL will cause intermittent connection issues.

Bob

I apalozize to for saying I hate these cars lol. I found the issue. Instead of soldering the wires for the map sensor to the ecm the previous owner used connectors and when I moved it I guess it wasn't making a good connection.
I removed the connectors and soldered the wires.
Now the car starts and stays running

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
The car really smells like it is idling rich water is dripping out of the tailpipe ya'll please take look.
tank for all the help

Attachments

• 1-11-17 idle.dat
    127.4 KB · Views: 67