New personal best this weekend.

OldschoolV6

Using Hoosier drag radial
installed UMI lower arms tubular non adjistable
uppers roto joint double adjustable set at -2.
personal best 60 from a 1.45 to a 1.34. Had been 1.45 with factory arms upper & lower.

Exhaust 2 1/2 stainless with borlas
Moulton dragway was as good as any track anywhere Sunday.

Nice job. That is how 60's should be. No 20psi launches. If the converter is right and the tune is good, 60's are no problem. No transbrake needed.

Nice! Should be a mid 10 second car.
I would not have guessed that you did that off the foot brake. If you don't mind, What's your combo, (converter, turbo, gear ratio, tire size, springs, air bags, shocks, HP, etc)?

Mike Barnard

The converter is old school art Carr 9" from mid 90's.
Turbo is a turbonetics 66/65 3 bolt.
3.73 gears
Factory springs from 1987
Dual air bags set at 8/18.
Shocks are comp engineering 90/10 front 50/50 installed in 1994.
I should make 650 ish at the crank car weights 3620. I think the car should run 10.25-10.35. Another car I know of went 6.58 and 10.31 @ 130.8.
These cars will run faster off foot brake than trans brake. Plus it is easier on the car.

Your combo and mine are very close. People here used to give me a hard time for running a 3.73 gear. Once my short times got into the 1.3s, the critics seem to vanish. :)

A 3.73 gear by itself WILL slow most cars. HOWEVER, If you run a taller tire (28"), your final ratio is only about 10% lower than stock. The 3.73 gear will also allow you to run a slightly tighter converter, as the rpms will be climbing quicker, spooling the turbo along with it. This tighter converter will have less slippage at the big end of the track and get much of the rpm back that you lost with the lower gear. I also have an old Art Carr 9" non lock up converter from the 90s. I tried one of his newer ones a few years ago and wasn't that impressed. My converter is at 2800 rpms at 0 vacuum and has about 4% slippage on the big end. Best to have ported heads/cam and good valve springs to make use of the extra rpm you'll have at the end of the track. At 124 mph I think I'm at about 6200 rpms. Here's my combo. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/my-87-gn-cruise-air-10-55-et-21-mpg.370097/

3.73 gears got popular with these cars in the 90s. Before alky injection, people needed a big, slow spooling turbo to make power, and a loose converter to try and spool it. Most converters weren't nearly as efficient as today's are. The 3.73 gear was a way of keeping things streetable, without going to any looser of a converter than you had to.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Your combo and mine are very close. People here used to give me a hard time for running a 3.73 gear. Once my short times got into the 1.3s, the critics seem to vanish. :)

A 3.73 gear by itself WILL slow most cars. HOWEVER, If you run a taller tire (28"), your final ratio is only about 10% lower than stock. The 3.73 gear will also allow you to run a slightly tighter converter, as the rpms will be climbing quicker, spooling the turbo along with it. This tighter converter will have less slippage at the big end of the track and get much of the rpm back that you lost with the lower gear. I also have an old Art Carr 9" non lock up converter from the 90s. I tried one of his newer ones a few years ago and wasn't that impressed. My converter is at 2800 rpms at 0 vacuum and has about 4% slippage on the big end. Best to have ported heads/cam and good valve springs to make use of the extra rpm you'll have at the end of the track. At 124 mph I think I'm at about 6200 rpms. Here's my combo. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/my-87-gn-cruise-air-10-55-et-21-mpg.370097/

3.73 gears got popular with these cars in the 90s. Before alky injection, people needed a big, slow spooling turbo to make power, and a loose converter to try and spool it. Most converters weren't nearly as efficient as today's are. The 3.73 gear was a way of keeping things streetable, without going to any looser of a converter than you had to.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard
What was your 1/8 mile et and mph on that 10.55 run.

Last edited:
How much did you pick up after the springs Mike?

I haven't had it back to the track, as all the 1/4 mile tracks around here closed until recently. Hope to have it back soon. Most runs, I couldn't tell that it was laying over. Power logger didn't show anything. AF and correction looked perfect. It didn't miss. It was very smooth as the power band would just flatten out at about 5500 rpms. Where I discovered it was on the dyno. The HP and TQ would be a smooth climb until just before 5500 rpms and 500 HP. The graph would then jump up and down and not recover through 6000 rpms. Once I upped the seat pressure I noticed it pull much harder and smoother on the top end. Hope to have it back on the dyno in the next month or two. I'll start a new thread after I do and post before and after dyno sheets. Sorry about the thread hijack. I just get all exited about great performance with good data to support it.:D

It's nice to see someone run quick, but when they post detailed data of what it took to run that number it helps us all.

Bison, What do you think about posting a new thread " Short time recipes"? If it has merit, make it a sticky.

Mike B.

I haven't had it back to the track, as all the 1/4 mile tracks around here closed until recently. Hope to have it back soon. Most runs, I couldn't tell that it was laying over. Power logger didn't show anything. AF and correction looked perfect. It didn't miss. It was very smooth as the power band would just flatten out at about 5500 rpms. Where I discovered it was on the dyno. The HP and TQ would be a smooth climb until just before 5500 rpms and 500 HP. The graph would then jump up and down and not recover through 6000 rpms. Once I upped the seat pressure I noticed it pull much harder and smoother on the top end. Hope to have it back on the dyno in the next month or two. I'll start a new thread after I do and post before and after dyno sheets. Sorry about the thread hijack. I just get all exited about great performance with good data to support it.:D

It's nice to see someone run quick, but when they post detailed data of what it took to run that number it helps us all.

Bison, What do you think about posting a new thread " Short time recipes"? If it has merit, make it a sticky.

Mike B.

This thread really caught my attention. Some of the best reading I've seen on TB for awhile. Best 60' is 1.47 and car is off target in the first half of the track. Back half gain in 27-28 MPH range. Rear is 3.55 Ford 9" and 28's on the rear.

Waiting for the tranny rebuild that I expect to pick up early next week.

Mike B.
Short time recipes is a good idea. Be sure to include front and rear weight, control locations, and pinion angle in there as well as conditions. Also shock settings. Most just list the parts that they are using but have no baseline as to what they did next to attempt to better their times.

excellent 60ft! congrats.i also run gears in the turbobuicks and really enjoy them.those art carr converters really get the cars to leave well.is that the old 16930 and which stall?

This thread really caught my attention. Some of the best reading I've seen on TB for awhile. Best 60' is 1.47 and car is off target in the first half of the track. Back half gain in 27-28 MPH range. Rear is 3.55 Ford 9" and 28's on the rear.

Waiting for the tranny rebuild that I expect to pick up early next week.
How fast is your car 1/8 mile?

How fast is your car 1/8 mile?

Best 1/8th mile is 6.627 at 103.12 MPH with 60' time of 1.491. 1/4 mile was 10.428 at 129.79 this race was run on 21-22 average for boost.

Following run boost was increased by 3 lbs. 60' was lousy 1.582 and 1/8th mile was 6.644 and 104.77. 1/4 mile was 10.373 at 131.88. Howled like hell on the return road and tear down found 3 teeth on ring gear were broken off.

Waiting patiently for the phone call to come and pick up the car at the tranny shop.