New Parts coming in Jan to June, Yes even Lightning rods shifters

hello people; Could someone tell me how those lightning work? You got three rods so what the procedure?
IBBY

Will you be selling a version of the lightning rods without the Hurst logos? like the prototype.
Thanks
RB

You should build the lightning rods with angled cuts on the detent tabs, so that the lever will still go forward if you don't get the button pushed all the way down. OE style makes it a bitch to actually shift with them if the engine is at redline, takes away from the functionality to have to focus on getting the damn buttons pushed ALL THE WAY DOWN to get it to shift. I didn't own the shifters I had and they were too damn valuable to modify. But if you look at the design you'll notice that an angled cut on those tabs would let it hit the next gear easier with no ill effects.

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the shifter button push a cable that goes into a cam That has to move? Not sure angle cutting the detent would help a lot. I tried responding to this a while back but it kept telling me to log back in.

I havent looked at one for years. when we had the one on the bench it looked like a bit of an angle at least on the end would help pull the cam downward that last little bit as it moved forward. Don't blame you for not incorporating it as a design variance but if I had one I'd darn sure try to do something to help that.

Any updates to this project? Would love to grab a set for the project. I am almost to the point where I need to mount a shifter.

Why repop shifter handles ? Aren't they available now ? Or is that GM part only ?
I havent looked at one for years. when we had the one on the bench it looked like a bit of an angle at least on the end would help pull the cam downward that last little bit as it moved forward. Don't blame you for not incorporating it as a design variance but if I had one I'd darn sure try to do something to help that.
We did. Lonnie & I spent half a day going thru increasing steel harness, Improved spring tensions, Made what we we call the rooster tails deeper. No longer can you throw it from 3rd into neutral. That always helps ;)
AutoDnamics the Lightning rods could be purchased thru GM or Hurst.
Buickspec6231 We have 5 sets sitting here. Me being anal I picked the units apart that are to be sent out to licensing. I'm requesting tweaks on the manufacturing process to be 100% or better. They have the improved function down. Just looks like they were in a hurry to get these to market. I was not haoppy with the finish. So we are requesting these to be perfect for licensing. Yes a delay, yes me being anal, Yes you will have a better product then 30 years ago ;)

Any updates to this project? Would love to grab a set for the project. I am almost to the point where I need to mount a shifter.
4 sets sitting here. I sent Dennis Kirban up a set to check out as well. Some small details to work out like Font.
Lonnie & I did the improvements no D to Neutral like the originals.
Just waiting on the return units to send to Hurst for licensing.

What pieces would be needed to do a conversion of the stock shifter/console? With your mods will this setup be safe for the dragstrip?

What pieces would be needed to do a conversion of the stock shifter/console? With your mods will this setup be safe for the dragstrip?
We have all the parts for the conversion almost done. Brushes are approved. I spent stupid $ on the real screws just to hold them top plate.

As far as the drag strip. If you could shift a factory unit & not have problems this one will be above. Spring tension improved. Rooster tails are a little taller.

If you think about it it depends on the car's performance build.
Some guys just let the car shift 1-2 by itself. The pull to the 2-3 shift. You would only be pulling one lever back.
1-2 shifts & the 2-3 shift your pulling 2 seperate levers back & that is it.
Lonnie & I spent some time on these to make them better then they did in 1982.
We have all the mounting brackets,cable,rubber boot & plate. The rest is not far off.

Some guys just let the car shift 1-2 by itself. The pull to the 2-3 shift. You would only be pulling one lever back.
1-2 shifts & the 2-3 shift your pulling 2 seperate levers back & that is it.
Yes, that's what I wanted to hear! Sounds great.
I am assuming the cable mounts to the stock trans bracket etc without mods?

hello people; I do remember when the lightning rods came out and never tried them. I thought they where silly looking and knew no one who had them.
It would definatlely be differant in a TB and I wouldn't mind giving one a shot. I did watch a U tube video with a guy showing you how it worked in his Olds.
When someone does put one in a TB I'd like to hear how it went and a review would be nice,
IBBY

hello people; I do remember when the lightning rods came out and never tried them. I thought they where silly looking and knew no one who had them.
It would definatlely be differant in a TB and I wouldn't mind giving one a shot. I did watch a U tube video with a guy showing you how it worked in his Olds.
When someone does put one in a TB I'd like to hear how it went and a review would be nice,
IBBY
That was Toby P. That was the first round of shifters we received. They were built off my shifters. Once we saw they had the ability to build these we improved the 32 year olds original defects.
Now just waiting on the 3 to come in to send out to get licensed.

This is what I have currently available for the the Lightning rod shifters.
http://www.gbodyparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lightning&x=0&y=0