New GN owner!

Jeff86GN

Hello everyone! I just bought a 86 GN, and I'm new to the board! I probably paid too much for it, but it was a very clean example! The car had a few issues that were minor, and most have been solved already! I'm not a new person to turbo cars! Turbo cars are very different creatures! I've owned at least a dozen or more turbo cars, and I liked them all!

The GN I bought was listed as "all original"! Well it wasnt all original! It was however very clean! This GN spent its first seven years of its life terrorizing the streets of TN! It then sat for almost 16 years, and was never driven or registered! Sometime between 10 years ago and now the transmission was modified, unknown engine mods done, and only 8k miles were put on! It still has the original engine mounts from the factory, rear diff has never been opened, and the rear brake shoes were still original! I would like to say that this car hasn't been abused too much! The original mounts looked used obviously, but weren't stressed!
I bought the car in Chicago from kind of a shady dealership. This dealership only deals with classic cars and nothing else! Before purchasing the car, I went on a road test with the salesman! The car drove great for being 31 years old! The thing that struck me as odd was the car was running before I got there! I parked my Shelby next to it, and started checking it out! The interior looked okay, but old! It sounded fine and seem weird! Driving the car didn't reveal any weird noises! Went back, signed the paperwork, dropped the cash for it, and proceeded to make the 6 hour drive home!
Now the ugly part! We got 20 miles away, then the car shuts down! I'm thinking WTF?! Battery was completely dead! I made some quick checks and found I had no field voltage at the alternator! Luckily it stopped right next door to a advance auto parts! I bought a set of jumpers and started the car back up. Upon doing that, I noticed I had no warning lights come on! I knew right there that the cluster was dead! So being 5.5 hrs from home, I just wired a temporary field wire directly from the battery and drove it home!
The car made it home finally! First thing I did was tear the dash apart and figure out the no charge issue! Long story short, the cluster is dead! The field wire for my charging system comes from the cluster directly! That was a great idea GM! This is an original digital dash and climate control car(guess what else doesn't work?!). The car is clean and fun to drive! I knew when I decided to buy it that it was going to have a couple issues! I've wanted one of these for 20+ years! I have a lot of plans for It! The car will retain mostly stock components or upgraded parts! The fuel system and other parts WILL be changed out! A new motor will probably be on the menu as Well! Only because I'm sure I'll do something stupid and break It! I always do!

Attachments

• 20170428_170410.jpg
    20170428_170410.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 153
  • 20170425_162035.jpg
    20170425_162035.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 133
Congrats on the purchase. They can be pretty wiley.
I'm glad you got a black one, the other ones look goofy! Lol

So, THAT'S what the back of a Shelby looks like? :D Just kidding. Two great looking hot rods.
The gas tank on the GN looks freakishly clean for a car that spent much time in Chicago.
The key to success with these things is to wrap your head around what these little engines require to move lots of air and not blow out the head gaskets.
We give away this knowledge for free here. Use the search function to find the answers needed. If you can't find the answer, just ask. Here's some evening reading to get you started.
http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Welcome to the site and happy spooling.:)
Mike Barnard