New Buick owner from NJ

Thanks Spool.. Question for you.

My Both front and rear bumper fillers where replaced, but the rear ones have a gap between them right under the license plate. Is this normal?

Per your Sig pictures its not, but I wanted to confirm.

Look underneath. Are they flexible or hard fiberglass? Unfortunately, there are some poor quality fillers on the market. The price can be very tempting. Once you try to make them fit nice or paint them, it ends up costing you more in the long run and still looking like crap.

Mike B.

Unfortunately they were on the car when I bought it. The cars going out for bodywork and paint some time with the next month. I will see if the shop to resolve it. If not, I guess bumper fillers are going to be on over. Thanks again for the replies

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whats up Mario. Im from NJ Union County and also finally joined the Turbo Buick community, sort of. 1st car i got about 2 years ago- 84 GN with ttops and lots of rust and is sitting in need of alot of work. And now just acquired an 87 GN and looking forward to some nearby meets this year. In the meantime got alot of learning and wrenching to do.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Whats up Mario. Im from NJ Union County and also finally joined the Turbo Buick community, sort of. 1st car i got about 2 years ago- 84 GN with ttops and lots of rust and is sitting in need of alot of work. And now just acquired an 87 GN and looking forward to some nearby meets this year. In the meantime got alot of learning and wrenching to do.

Whats up buddy.

Congrats on the purchase. This is my first rodeo with Turbo Buicks so I have been eating up as much as I can when it comes to the learning curve. Unfortunately, a few days after my purchase the engine let loose. I'm in the process of getting her to a builder.

Sorry to hear that bro. Only 1 shop i know of in Linden that specializes in Turbo Buicks. Havent used them YET but they might have some good insight if you need it. They are called V&S. let us know how you make out!

There also is a buick shop right off rt 23 in riverdale or pequannock. Thy always had turbo buicks out front when they were on rt 23.

Whats up buddy.

This is my first rodeo with Turbo Buicks so I have been eating up as much as I can when it comes to the learning curve. Unfortunately, a few days after my purchase the engine let loose. I'm in the process of getting her to a builder.

Since no one has mentioned it yet , I'll do the honors.

Probably even more important then whats going into the motor is WHO is building it !!!!!!
No matter how good of a reputation your local machine shop may have, if they are not VERY familiar with THESE motors and knows exactly how to build them, you are MUCH better off going a little further away (if need be) to an experienced Buick Turbo Motor Builder,or even ordering one from one of the well known builders on this site.
These motors are not like building a small block chevy, They are notorious for having unknowledgable builders put them together and blowing up within a few hundred miles or less,(it may even be the problem you just ran into).
Can't stress this enough,get the right builder, + then the right installer,make sure they prime the oil pump correctly before start up,make sure your electrical system and fuel system is all up to par with the rest of the build,make sure it is tuned right + has no knock (Need at least a scanmaster)before you start to really get into the throttle. etc. all things a proper installer will know to do.

Read ,read,read + talk to knowledgable people on this site before picking a builder/installer/tuner.
I'm sure other members can point you to someone in your area.
Getting everything right from start to finish is the key to happiness with these cars,Otherwise you will run into lots of very expensive misery.
Good Luck with the build.

Last edited:
Since no one has mentioned it yet , I'll do the honors.

Probably even more important then whats going into the motor is WHO is building it !!!!!!
No matter how good of a reputation your local machine shop may have, if they are not VERY familiar with THESE motors and knows exactly how to build them, you are MUCH better off going a little further away (if need be) to an experienced Buick Turbo Motor Builder,or even ordering one from one of the well known builders on this site.
These motors are not like building a small block chevy, They are notorious for having unknowledgable builders put them together and blowing up within a few hundred miles or less,(it may even be the problem you just ran into).
Can't stress this enough,get the right builder, + then the right installer,make sure they prime the oil pump correctly before start up,make sure your electrical system and fuel system is all up to par with the rest of the build,make sure it is tuned right + has no knock (Need at least a scanmaster)before you start to really get into the throttle. etc. all things a proper installer will know to do.

Read ,read,read + talk to knowledgable people on this site before picking a builder/installer/tuner.
I'm sure other members can point you to someone in your area.
Getting everything right from start to finish is the key to happiness with these cars,Otherwise you will run into lots of very expensive misery.
Good Luck with the build.

Thanks man, I assumed someone was going to post this. :)

I have talked to someone already who has done a bunch of Buicks all of which are far from stock and running great to this day.

I am also reaching out to someone else tomorrow to see what he thinks and a ball park price on the build.

I am not going to make hasty decisions on this one. I want the car good to go and be a reliable Show / Go car.

Welcome to the board. The next mod is to lengthen the drain hoses on the astro roof. Right now the hoses stop right behind the side windows. I replaced mine and ran them all the way down to the quarter panel behind the rear tire and out through the bottom. If not the water that drains around the top just dumps in the car . Ask me how I know. When you pull the rear seat to install the rear seat braces that most of the vendors here sell look at the seam across the floor where the trunk floor and the floor pan meet.If that is rusted have the body guy fix that too. Install the seat brace if it doesn't already have one before it gets painted. They are cheap and help keep the body from twisting. Good luck and enjoy the car

I recommend Jim Dunn, bit of a trip on NJ Turnpike, but well worth the money and quality. He is honest, which is an absolute requirement if you're a beginner.

I recommend Jim Dunn, bit of a trip on NJ Turnpike, but well worth the money and quality. He is honest, which is an absolute requirement if you're a beginner.
Is that the same guy that made down pipes for the Turbo Trans Am?

I think so, I've seen those with his name on it. This is the one he had done for me, original TH design (87 Turbo T):

I have spoken with Jim a few times already and he had been nothing but awesome when it comes to help and offering advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk