need help w/ Hooker exhaust

F

Four-Four-Two

I was piecing together my exhaust system today to see how it fits, and it looks like I'm going to have a few problems.

First off, the only place I see that the exhaust mounts to the car is on the tail pipes. :eek: That can't be the only place, thats a ton of weight on the downpipe. Where in the heck does it mount up?

Second problem: I held just the tailpipes up in the air in the back of the car, and the mounts don't line up with anything! :mad: Where are they supposed to go, how are they held down.

FYI, I bought the system used, came with a test pipe.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
rear of each muffler-strap to the frame.

With what?:D All that is on there is a muffler clamp, am I missing something

It will line up OK. You have to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame for the tail pipe hangers to bolt up. You should have a exhaust hanger that is under the transmission mount and bolts to the cat. converter. It sounds like you don't have this hanger. I have the GM part number for this hanger if you need it. It is around $16.00. Also you will have two hangers that go behid the mufflers.

I have installed several of these systems with great success. It is a awesome exhaust system.

I take it you bought this used with no instructions? Go to your local muffler shop and pick up 2 rubber hangers to place at back of muffler under clamp. Or just tell them what your doing they can probably help.
Dave

A exhaust shop may install it for a deal. I would not pay more that $50.00 to have the system installed.

Anybody have any problems with the "Y" pipe clearance under the floor pan? I was looking for reasons for false knock and noticed that mine was right on the pan...

Any ideas on improvements, I don't think that lay-out is incorrect and the bracket from the trans kinda holds it there?

:cool:

I had problems with it hitting the floor pan too under the pass side too.

i too had a hard time making the hooker exhaust system fit...i got fed up and decided to just take it to my local exhaust shop and they did it perfectly for 100 bucks...the entire system does not MOVE whatsoever and clears everything...

Originally posted by d0n_3d
i got fed up and decided to just take it to my local exhaust shop and they did it perfectly for 100 bucks...the entire system does not MOVE whatsoever and clears everything...

I'm thinking thats not too bad of an idea. It just sucks since I already spent $185 on the whole system, I don't really have any more money to spend. I guess I will end up taking it in though. Now only if my car ran, I could drive it somewhere to be taken care of. :mad: :D

Four-Four-Two...
I drove mine to the muffler shop with open exhaust...not to bad if you hold a steady speed....

Louie...
Were you able to adjust it, where at the muffler hangers?
I thought your car had an ATR system on it from the previous owner??

:cool:

Just installed mine last month without any problems after deciding the single shot system was not to my liking.:( I supported my system by using the two factory brackets near the top of each tailpipe. There were some rubber straps that came with the system that bolted to the factory brackets and then clamped to the tailpipes. This along with the bracket off the trans mount will hold the system adequately. The brackets near the end of the tailpipe needs to have a hole drilled in the frame.
The same system was on my GN before the single shot setup was put on and there were no support problems running it this way. It was on the car when I bought it in 1995 and had finally got some small rot holes after one of the mufflers. The first pic below shows where the L brackets at the end of the pipes attach. The other brackets I talked about attach near the top of the bend that goes over the rearend. No clearance problems anywhere!

http://www.buickgn.com/hooker5.jpg
http://www.buickgn.com/exhaust.htm

I had a problem with mine hitting the passenger side floor pan too.. It was nothing a 2x4 and a floor jack couldnt fix..