My $30.00 billet(ish) alternator.

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
full

For the last year or so, I've felt like my old alternator was the eye sore on my nice looking engine. The only other option was to paint it, ceramic coat it to look like headers or spend five bones on a MSD unit that had to be retrofitted with brackets and was the size of a small mailbox. I think that this looks better than all the above, and was the cheapest altenative.

At this time, the entire Turbo Buick community needs to hang their head in shame. I can't believe that no one has ever done this. For all you Northerners that are snowed in with no money and nothing to do, here's your next project.

My old stock alternator was dissasembled, sand blasted, brushed on a 120 grit belt sander, ceramic clear coated, brushes replaced, steel parts re-cad plated and reassembeled.

Here's a few pics of the deal.

Alternator autopsy.
GNenginebrushedalt010.jpg

Two halves after sanding.
GNenginebrushedalt006.jpg

Parts sanded and back from clear ceramic coating. Note: This stuff is very tough. Now maintenance is just glass cleaner and a rag.
full

Bad news: One of the bearings didn't slide off the shaft and snapped a brush in half.
Good news: New brushes= $2.00 It was time for new ones anyways.
full

New brushes going in. Note: paper clip holding them in place untill after installation.
GNenginebrushedalt012.jpg

back on the car.
full

GNenginebrushedalt029.jpg

GNenginebrushedalt031.jpg

GNenginebrushedalt027.jpg

NOW! put down the beer and get busy, you slackers.

More projects coming soon.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Looks good Mike! Ill be out in out in your neck of the woods (El Segundo) this coming week for work.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
9.71 @ 140

It figures!

I would expect something like this from you,
that is so neat, I have looked at my alt and said the same thing,
it looks like crap!
My hats off to you Mike.
another job "well done"

clear coated? or powder coated?
I have some polished mag wheels powder coated clear, almost bullet proof!

Thanks Mike!

Mike your anal & you have too much time on your hands, Anything to make us mere mortals jealous.

Thanks Guys...

Look really nice. Where did you get the re-cad plating done?
At a local place here in Santa Ana. I've got the name and number at work. I can get it for you if you need it. I plated 30 parts total, and it cost $60.00.:)

I would expect something like this from you,
that is so neat, I have looked at my alt and said the same thing,
it looks like crap!
My hats off to you Mike.
another job "well done"

clear coated? or powder coated?
I have some polished mag wheels powder coated clear, almost bullet proof!

Thanks Mike!
It's not a powder coat. It's a clear ceramic coat. Much harder, better with heat and resists chemicals. Had it done at Specialized Coatings here in Huntington Beach. They also ceramic cleared my valve covers, polished intake and dog house a few years ago. They still look like the day they did them.

nice mike, now do something about that ugly gold fan blade
I kinda like my disco-blade.:cool: I know that it was silver cad from the factory, but all my other stuff for plating was gold. Also, it's not the only gold cad stuff on the engine, so it didn't look out of place to me.

What kind of turbo cover is that? That thing looks great
It's one of these kind.;)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...n/305748-my-custom-aluminun-turbo-shield.html

Happy spooling.

Mike B.