My 200 is toast..looking to go 400

You should call Lonnie at extreme automatics.

He knows more about THM transmissions than anyone I know on the board.

He worked for THM division in the 90's before he opened his own shop and he builds a mean TH400.

Go to his website and see what he offers and at what prices.

He will at least set you on the path to what you need.

Please tell me how you can buy all the parts needed for a 9sec. car for 1,500 using quality parts. Converter [500/cheapo] and up, trans 700 for a stock build which won't hold 9's, drive shaft depends on where sourced or built 300 and up. Cross member ? Add a few hundred more for misc. and you are close to a 2004r build.

I do agree that a 400 built right and all supporting parts needed would be a better way to go for a car that is going to see 9's all the time or track duty.

Why do you need a crossmember ? $300 for a driveshaft ?? why ... chances are if you are running 9 second power on a GN you already should have a driveshaft or will need to get one .. same cost if you are going to a 400 or a 200 .. nothing extra here as you will need it with either.

The other thing the OP should think about that I think is nice on the 400 is that there are a lot of LOCAL builders that can build a very high quality 400 ..
So much so that you don't need a "200 guy" to do it .

I cant say that about the 200's ... if you don't get it done by the 200 pro's your pissin into the wind . Even further at times even those guys don't hit it out of the park all the time on a 9 second build. I've had 200's in mid 10 second cars that I would have to bring back multiple times or that smoked parts within a season.

Both transmissions have there place ... best for the OP to actually try a car that has a 400 and see what he gives up .. driving one goes a long way

i just did the conversion to th400. if using the cable modulator or modified vacuum modulator it is very manageable. I did the reverse manual. this is my price breakdown excluding the trans because i bought it used from a friend.

stock 200 crossmember No mods needed....$0
stock 200 trans mount. the two mounting holes are slotted outward because the bolt holes on the 400 are wider apart.....$0
no mods to speedo cable.....$0
th400 short yoke.....$90
stock driveshaft...measured 1/4" short....no big deal.....$0
shifter of your choice....i used a cheetah shifter, but you can do minor mods to stock to make it work....$350
convertor of your choice.....500-1200

i was told by my trans builder that i may need to freshen it in 5 years....i rebuilt my stage 3 twice last year.

i was on the highway yesterday ...at 65 mph, i was at 2600 rpm.

HTH

the 400 is going to come out as well in a car that makes a lot of power,and is heavy,sees tough street battles with hard transbreak launching.ive seen every trans out there break. inmo its how much time you have in between that either brings a smile to your face or has you looking for a different builder or unit.

Both transmissions have there place ... best for the OP to actually try a car that has a 400 and see what he gives up .. driving one goes a long way
this is a great statement.the shifting and driving of a 400 has to be felt by the driver.i personally prefer the 2 speed glide over the 400 or 350 any day and they hold up a lot more in the wild stuff.

IMHO.... I think Mr. Spool has it right. I've spoken to numerous people how have put together a relieable 400 for about $1500 and have lasted even after taking serious abuse. The 400 is a brute of a transmission and yes, I think Lonnie is the best. Just my personal preference.... Not trying to start any wars..... So please don't get your pull-ups in a bunch! The biggest factor for me when deciding on a tranny and who to build it, was how much\often am I going to launch the thing and how hard in general I'll drive it. And, will the builder stand behind his work. So, if you're gonna be launching it and driving it hard most of the time, I wouldn't do a 200. I'm sure a well built 200 will last you a couple of years, but that's about it. It's pretty simple and only the OP knows how he intends to use the car. For example, I spent a shit load of $$$$ on my car, so I'm going to drive the shit out of it....all the time..... My application is a little different and my car will see a lot of track time, so I'm going with a juiced up 400. Also, I'm using a bolt together PTC. Just preference. I know people are going to tell me a non-bolt together is just as good..... bla, bla, bla..... Thanks for the advise\opinion.... The 400 is definitely more $$$ then what a 200 would cost me, but for my application I'm not so sure if anyone's 200 is applicable and I don't want to find out the hard way and the OP should ask himself that same question..... I don't want a garage full of trannys and tq convertors. I wanna do it once and be done with it......

The only down sides like someone else already opined are; the tranny will consume more hp to turn it and you won't have OD.

Good luck!

OP, don't do a 400 without first talking to Lonnie.

I would also recommend you talk to Dave Husek, 516-285-1103. I don't know if builds 400's but he might and it might be worth your time to give him a call. Just preference, I've talked to Lonnie as well and I'm sure he does great work.

Just my opinion but $1500 on a decent TH400 sounds a little low. I know based on my own experience that I have at least 4 hours labor detailing a case to the point of making it acceptable for HP use with a fixed line pressure manual shift valve body. Then some of the hard parts and trans brake VB that adds to the cost and even if its for a low 10 second to 9 second build there are certain hard parts not worth taking a chance with.
AG.

Don't forget to do the converter feed passage mod. Apparently a lot of people ruin their thrust bearings if you don't do the mod and have a fixed line pressure.

What is a good transmission cooler brand to use for the TH400? Sorry in advance if I hijacked the thread.

The last time I tried to save $1,000.00 it cost me $1,000.00. I also have a recipe for making $1,000,000.00 in the restaurant business that involves starting with $2,000,000.00. The 400 will be heavier,consume more power,won't have overdrive,and will have higher first and second gear ratios. Just like the 200,it will only handle so many 9 second runs before it will need new clutches. There will be other unforeseen issues that will come up,but you will be well informed on the subject when it is over.

No one is as thorough or pays as much attention to detail as Dave and he's been doing it since he was the only one who could make them live when no one else could. There's no reason to switch to a 400 because you're concerned about longevity.

The last time I tried to save $1,000.00 it cost me $1,000.00. I also have a recipe for making $1,000,000.00 in the restaurant business that involves starting with $2,000,000.00. The 400 will be heavier,consume more power,won't have overdrive,and will have higher first and second gear ratios. Just like the 200,it will only handle so many 9 second runs before it will need new clutches. There will be other unforeseen issues that will come up,but you will be well informed on the subject when it is over.

No one is as thorough or pays as much attention to detail as Dave and he's been doing it since he was the only one who could make them live when no one else could. There's no reason to switch to a 400 because you're concerned about longevity.

BE careful with a post like this .. no disrespect to any of the 200 builders on here .. I am sure they make great transmissions ..
but the 200 will shit the bed way before a 400 ..

the 400 can take 9 second passes OVER and OVER .. the 200 not so much

Here I am with a TH400 in a 3700 lb Malibu with 6.0 and a turbo. Only mods are an old BTE cast iron trans brake valve body, (it dual feeds direct) and a 67 smooth drum with a 34 element sprag. Ran high 9s for years with a 16 element sprag and never broke it. Only went to the 32 because I had a drum sitting there when I freshened it up. Now it's knocking on 8s with stock steels and basic brown clutches. Nothing fancy anywhere in it. Just and old school heavy duty transmission that runs for thousands of street miles and hundreds of passes between freshen ups.