MS3-Pro! The next great thing in Turbo Buicks?

Can someone give me a brief description about this ecu system? Is this another option in lieu of fast or holley? I was going with the fast xfi and am wondering if this is something new and better that I may want to wait and consider.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have an ms2 pnp in my foxbody and if you're not wanting to shell out the cash for the holley or fast systems, or completely re-do wiring harnesses, you can't go wrong.

Can someone give me a brief description about this ecu system? Is this another option in lieu of fast or holley? I was going with the fast xfi and am wondering if this is something new and better that I may want to wait and consider.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
First off I'm not an expert & my MS system isn't running yet. When I was looking at ECUs 5 years ago, I was only looking at the XFI & MS3. I had FAST classic in my car previously.

1 thing I didn't like about the classic, was you couldn't directly log what the AE was doing, so I never got tip in tuned out correctly, but again I'm a noob. I don't know if XFI has fixed this problem.

When I started looking into the ECUs I noticed the manual for MS for tuning looked awesome, but one thing I noticed now on installation side of things, the install documentation sucks. Yes the wires are labeled for their intended purpose, but no where in the documentation do they say what each of the input can handle on volts or speed limitations of the inputs, in case you want to use spare inputs for VSS or traction control sensors. You might have to build circuits for certain types of inputs. Also, do any of the output supply 12v when turned on or are they just a grounded output? As you can tell by my signature, I made up my own manual, because FAST had an awful manual at the time. Mine is not much better, since I can't talk from experience. I traveled to Michigan to meet with lance ward, he is the one that gave me the definitions to write down in my manual.

The MS has Bluetooth & USB connection, XFI didn't at the time, I don't know if they do now. I plan to hook up an android tablet to display logs or gauges from the center console. GPS data can be added to the log when using androids GPS, If you desire 1/4 mile times or HP rating added to ur log. As far as I can tell you can't tune from the tablet, so laptop is still needed. Blue tooth logging is limited on logging speed ~20 reads per second, but I assume the ECU with on board memory can record logs at a much higher speed.

Rumor I had heard, the XFI has very limited memory for logging. I thought someone told me they didn't get a data log of a run, because the log started early & didn't capture any of his run. I tried researching this at the time, but could not find anything about the size of the onboard memory of the XFI. MS takes micro SD, so unlimited logging.

MS is very flexible & can add almost unlimited IO, but flexibility means it can be more complicated to setup. Currently MS is more for the electronic geeks, but if the PNP comes out this summer that could make it easier. FAST has been PNP for a while now. I don't know what the MS PNP is going to be, I know a person on these forums was working on a PNP that would fit in the OEM GN ECU box, but I don't know if diyautotune is using this project or not, when they come out with their PNP.

MS only handles high impedance injectors directly, so extra hardware is required to do low impedance. Luckily high impedance injectors are becoming more common, I'm using 160lb high Impedance Bosch injectors, but I don't know if there is any cons to using high impedance.

If you want Cal to tune your car he won't touch MS, according to a conversation I had with his wife 2yrs ago. Cruz is a dealer for MS. Sorry I don't know where other vendors stand on the various ECUs.

I hope someone can fix my errors above if things have changed over the years or I don't know what I'm talking about. As always do your own research to make sure your getting what you want.

My old 91 GT Mustang is running MSII PNP. It's a learning curve but the self learn a/f works pretty good. He stsrted out with somone elses timing map as a base line and it was way off. Really lazy. Got the map close to a stock with 4deg added timing off boost but pulling it to 18deg once it makes + pressure. Stock heads, cam, 3.27s and 6# and it went 12.5. 5 speeds coming out and 4R70W auto going in and hopefully using Microsquirt trans controller since it talks to megasquirt through can bus.

I hope someone can fix my errors above if things have changed over the years or I don't know what I'm talking about. As always do your own research to make sure your getting what you want.

That's basically it. What you save in hardware costs you will more than spend in time getting it running and tuned. If you're comfortable with putting it together and tuning your own car and handling the learning curve on really getting to know how a fuel injected engine works, go for it.

If you want to slap it on quickly and have somebody that's been around the block tune it and be done, spend the money on whatever system your chosen tuner prefers.

I ran MS on a TPI Chevy 350 about ten years ago, and I gained a new appreciation for the engineering and testing the factory puts in, as well as for the knowledge an experienced tuner brings to the table.

A possible release date has been announced, here is a copy of an email I got from DIYautotune.

"Just wanted to give you an update on the Grand National MSPNP. We have set an October 15 release date for it. Final pricing has not been announced yet, but it's going to be in the same vicinity as the existing MSPNP Pro units in the $1199 to $1599 range. I will send more details when they are available. I can tell you that it will have the same 7" x 6" x 2" external dimensions as the units we make for Miatas. Spare I/O will be on a 26 pin connector on the opposite side from the main harness connector.

Matt Cramer DIYAutoTune Support"

IMHO MS2 will cover 99% of cars on here.
I'm so cheap I'm debating doing MS2 instead of MS3 w/expansion board. But I'm not sure if I'll go with the plug and play kit be sure I can piece it together and wire it cheaper.

I'm so cheap I'm debating doing MS2 instead of MS3 w/expansion board. But I'm not sure if I'll go with the plug and play kit be sure I can piece it together and wire it cheaper.

I built a Megasquirt2 from bare kit for a TPI 350 Chevy once. It worked and I had fun doing it, but man was it a lot of work. If I ever do it again, I'll do a pre-assembled PnP. Building the kit is time consuming, and if you screw up, it's on you.

If you want to built it yourself for the experience and fun of it, do it. But saving money is the wrong reason. It'll come out cheaper in the long run to buy the fully assembled and tested units from DIYAutoTune.

I built a Megasquirt2 from bare kit for a TPI 350 Chevy once. It worked and I had fun doing it, but man was it a lot of work. If I ever do it again, I'll do a pre-assembled PnP. Building the kit is time consuming, and if you screw up, it's on you.

If you want to built it yourself for the experience and fun of it, do it. But saving money is the wrong reason. It'll come out cheaper in the long run to buy the fully assembled and tested units from DIYAutoTune.
I mean buying a pre-assembled unit but then wiring the harness etc rather than buying the plug and play kit. But who knows what I'll do when the time comes.