Midwest Buick Challenge.

Sam Colalillo

low 9's w/ a 109
Loyd and Shari thank you for putting the effort that you do into this event!!! I am sure you guys have a difficult time trying to please all of us in the Buick community. I know there are several challenges you encompass while planning this event. You have several people to satisfy. In my opinion the track was not prepped as well this year as it was last year. Please don’t take my track prep comment personally, I know you both pour your heart and souls into planning this event. I am excited to see it happen at Osceola again next year.

My Friend Tim Galloway stepped up in a huge way this year. It was amazing to see him raise a large sum of money from local sponsors. Then you both made sure it was paid directly to the winners of each event, along with the money your club raised. I got a feeling this Buick Guru will pull something off again next year.

This event was a blast!!! It was great to see some of the friends my wife and I have made from Upper Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Southern Indiana, and even a weapon from deep in the South made the trip to participate in TSM. I think the track location works great because you can draw a small circle and catch upper Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and of course most of Indiana.

The town of Elkhart and Mishawaka has a lot to offer, which are both close by. I love seeing all the Buick race and show cars at the local motels. Oh, and the Bonecutter’s managed to work out a deal with the track owners allowing the racers to stay over night at the track. I was amazed to see this pulled off. I know the track is normally highly opposed to this.

Planning includes social events which most enjoy getting together with several friends we have not seen in a while. Different crowds to satisfy include those that enjoy a meticulously detailed all original Buick, the slightly modified street machine, and the hardcore racers. This also means planning a car show and several drag racing classes at the event.

I would like to see a qualifying session for TSM on Friday, and more qualifying sessions Saturday morning, then race on Saturday evening. I am interested in what the other TSM guys or gals opinions are on this. (Eliminations on Saturday, or Sunday?) Originally I liked the idea of Sunday eliminations, but the more I think about it, I like having it all wrapped up Saturday. This gives us Sunday as a rain make up day, if we do not get eliminations in on Saturday.

I do like the idea of running Bracket one and two on Sunday with the local racers. I consider this a win win situation for the Buick racers. It allows those Buick racers the opportunity to compete for the Buick clubs money, and allows them the opportunity to take the tracks purse away from a local racer.

In regards to the track prep I do think it will be better next year. After the event this year Lloyd was asking several questions on how and what we thought was needed. I asked Lloyd if I could help him in regards to making the trap prep better for next year. (Loyd I was serious when I offered assistance). Last year the track was prepped better, I am sure the Buick club expected it to be the same this year. My friend Patrick and I have spoke to Tim (track manager) about what it would take to prep the track even better than he did last year for next years 2009 event. I am confident Patrick and I will get this taken care of. I am not going to go into exacting details. Be assured the entire ¼ mile will be spayed next year and the starting line will be as good, or better than it was last year.

Racing will not go into the night, which is fine by me. This track does not have lights, but I would rather finish up racing before dark, and hang out with all my Buick buddies at night. I do hope the new restrooms rooms are completed next year (I could write a novel on all the problems Tim ran into with this project.), and I am confident that they will be.

All in all I think Loyd and Shari do a great job!!! Several others and I applaud you for the dedication you both put into this event. I am glad to see you have already committed to having it at Osceola again next year.

Like I said in the other thread, thanks for your effort. If it wasn't for folks like you, there would be no events for us to race at.

Sam, that will be great if we can get a little more track prep for next year. I know the heat of the day has a lot to do with it...Columbus had the same issues.

I prefer the 2 day race. It makes it easy on us racers with small budgets.

Is there a date set yet? If not, would it be possible to move it back a little? Maybe a mid to late September date would be great.

Thanks again!

Like I said in the other thread, thanks for your effort. If it wasn't for folks like you, there would be no events for us to race at.

Yeah, I could not agree more on this comment.

Sam, that will be great if we can get a little more track prep for next year. I know the heat of the day has a lot to do with it...Columbus had the same issues.

I prefer the 2 day race. It makes it easy on us racers with small budgets.

Is there a date set yet? If not, would it be possible to move it back a little? Maybe a mid to late September date would be great.

Thanks again!

My vote would be the weekend after Labor day. Plus the turbo cars love cool weather. I think having it labor day weekend would kill attendance. It will be tuff to find Motel rooms if NotreDame has a home game that wekend.

i am already looking forward to it i didnt get to race or even go becuase of the head gasket i blew i just had problems with it all but the forms on turbo buick and GN_underdog really helped me i would really like to thank tim for all his help and letting me become part of the grand national committy around south bend. i got a lot of work ahead of me this winter but i will take pictures and post them and let you guys know how the GN is comming. i will see all of you next year. if not sooner