Megasquirt questions - Turbo 455 build

gsjimmy1

Getting ready to tear things down this weekend and set my turbo height. This would mean that I have to cut the engine cradle to gain the last 1” of needed space to close the hood. I’m figuring that I can move the turbo bracket down by 1.5” to compensate for the majority of the real estate needed. I believe that the lower radiator hose routes differently than a stock 455 piece, so I shouldn’t see any exhaust interference from my turbo mount.

OK, new dumb question, has anyone done anything with Megasquirt systems? I’m starting to look at going distributorless on the 455. Most of what I read (V8Buick site) concerns the Ford EDIS system, using plug on coil, and a 36-1 crank reluctor wheel. This eliminates the distributor.

That means that I could run my 231 cam sensor w/ a 455 gear swap. So, IF we go EFI from there, I could run a 454 TBI unit (4bbl type), right?? Then would go with a pressure box type system w/TBI mounted inside. I'm thinking that this would eliminate a turbo/supercharger conversion on a carb (floats, jets & such).

Trying to get a complete set-up mapped out to upgrade slowly as time/budget allow.

Any help would be appriciated!

Jim

I am running the ford EDIS sytem (megajolt?) with my supercharger.

great system. but the reluctor wheel was a bit of a pain. I have them now machined to bolt up between balancer and pulleys.

Why TBI? that sounds like a bad idea... I dont know of any successful high HP forced induction TBI applications.

if your using a pressure box, then a carb will be just fine.

you only need to modify the carb if your externally boosting it.

A.j.

Pic's of your set-up?

Any pic's, part numbers or diagrams? I'll post more pic's over the weekend/Monday of my progress. I should have "most" of my parts by then. Right now I'm starting with a running Stage 1 (1971, low comp version). Had HEI, but have to go small cap distributor due to the serp system.

Wondering if the cam sensor will work with Megasquirt or not.

Jim

Any pic's, part numbers or diagrams? I'll post more pic's over the weekend/Monday of my progress. I should have "most" of my parts by then. Right now I'm starting with a running Stage 1 (1971, low comp version). Had HEI, but have to go small cap distributor due to the serp system.

Wondering if the cam sensor will work with Megasquirt or not.

Jim

I dont have any pics up close of the setup, but I can take some. I dont know if the Cam sensor is compatable with MS, I dont have anything connected to mine, just a plug made from cam sensor. I have my Megajolt as a stand alone ignition system. I also had to convert when I went to the serpentine drive.

I run dual carbs so I dont have any other electronics associated.

As for part numbers or diagrams... I dunno what you want to see...

megajolt box
custom 36-1 reluctor wheel
ford taurus igniton guts.

thats it...

A.j.

Sooooo

Kool, looks easy enough. I'll watch for pics.

This would solve headaches on the plug wire routing, and ignition woes.

Jim

Pic's

Looking to see where the coils mount, megajolt mounting and routing of wires. I'm assuming that the cam sensor wire is just loose at this point.

Thanks,

jim

Looking to see where the coils mount, megajolt mounting and routing of wires. I'm assuming that the cam sensor wire is just loose at this point.

Thanks,

jim

for the most part, coil is mounted to firewall. mega jolt is under my dash. trigger pickup is being made to fit Stage 2 timing cover.

Can sensor is empty, no guts at all inside. no gear or shaft.

im dry sumped so I have nuthing driven off of the cam.

I will get some pics here soon...

A.j.

Experianced Megasquirter HERE:

With a simple msd flying magnet crank trigger and a properly set up cam sensor you could run the 455 on wasted spark(parrallel ls2 coils) with the megasquirt2 and the MS2Extra code in dual wheel mode, it would not be easy or a good project for the MS noobie, but it is defeniately possible.

Check out the msExtra.com for help, but starting out with fuel only would be your best bet, then experiment with the coil near plug wasted spark setup.
Also,Unless you go with a ms3 there are only 4 ignition channels available for coils,and two channels for fuel. So wasted spark 8cyl,and bank injection would be the limit of the hardware.

EDIS would be easier to setup, but still a little complicated for your first project. And I do not like the edis setups.

Many have tried to use boosted TBI setups(including me) and they just don't dist. the fuel good enough.

If you want to learn/figure out complete control of the engine, the MSx system would be a great adventure.

If you are just looking for the cheapest, easiest way to run your car, then I would not really suggest trying this, because there is not likely anyone out there to copy/learn from, and this will take some time and effort without that.

I think I'll.....

Looks like the way to attack this thing is to do the following:

1. Blow-thru carb set-up off the intercooler

2. GN Serp system to run the accessories

3. GN Cam Sensor to run the oil pump - can upgrade to wasted spark later!

4. Ford EDIS w/Megajolt to run the ignition

5. TH 400 to handle the torque & HP this is going to put out

6. Limit the boost to 5-6 lbs to avoid going into the bottom end of the motor

7. H-D radiator for the cooling - have a huge 4 core from the GS, or maybe an F-body unit (H-D w/air).

So I still have a few things on the shopping list, but am going to start in over the weekend.

Jim

.... why not run an elbow w/90mm Ford throttle body?

7245913.jpg

T-body?

Running a Q-jet manifold, does this piece have a dual pattern for the spreadbore carb flange? Would solve several other problems for me. I also need to find a Megajolt ECU.

J

gsjimmy1 said:
Running a Q-jet manifold, does this piece have a dual pattern for the spreadbore carb flange? Would solve several other problems for me....

Mr. Gasket sells a spreadbore to squarebore adapter for around twenty dollars....

!B53ZNfgBmk~$(KGrHqIOKnUEy0QNRfh)BMvQhjkGRQ~~_12.JPG

Leaks?

I'm running this as an N/A set-up right now with the Holley 750. If we pressurize the system, will it blow out the gasket?

gsjimmy1 said:
I'm running this as an N/A set-up right now with the Holley 750. If we pressurize the system, will it blow out the gasket?

Most of the blow-thru guys on the turbo forums are running the thick fel-pro carb base to intake gaskets, so just get the right one for both sides of the adapter plate if you go that route....