Lower radiator hose replacement suggestions

Not 1986. I have an 86,so that's how I searched for it. When you search that way,you're only offered options for the lower hose and The Dayco 71756 is not on the list of choices. There's no category for upper hose.

I was just at the site and entered 1987 and was offered choices for upper and lower hoses and The Dayco 71756 was the last one on the list of choices for lower hose.The only hose in the list of hoses that is the correct hose is the last one on the list. Sweeeeeet!

Yes, I agree the 86 listing is missing several options, I have both 86&87 and was looking under the 87 listing.

just picked up the order from Advance.... here is a side by side pic of GM 25523616 and Dayco 71756. they are the same. we already concluded that but I thought a side by side pic would be helpful. The Dayco hose has no white printed part #'s or other details like directional arrows like the GM original. The printing on the GM hose on my GN is on the side facing the passenger side and really can't be seen anyway.

View attachment 302481

While the Dayco 71756 is not stocked at the local parts stores like Autozone or Advance, it is stocked in their local supplying warehouses. I ordered it yesterday afternoon from Advance and it was delivered to my local store overnight. No shipping charges, just order in-store and put a deposit on the order. I had to wait 'til this afternoon for a different part for another car to be sent from another store. In any case, I got my parts in less than 24 hours and the hose was 14 bucks with sales tax. AND it is correct.

The Dayco project manager gave me his contact info. I'll reach out to him next week to ask about getting the 71756 into their system for the '86 TB's as well rather than their listing of that stupid 30 inch flex hose for the '86. That database change should correct the search results for 86 TB's via Autozone and Advance and at least the 71756 would be listed on RockAuto for the '86. Ttype6 was striking out everywhere he looked because he has an '86 and looked up '86.

now this NOS GM hose can go back on the '86 engine display and the Dayco can go on the GN.:D
I,m giving you a Like for the side by side. If you have a problem and wan't to find a solution on this site by searching,you will be stunned to find out how many threads don't end with " Hey,I did this and that and found the solution to my problem ". There's no useful information to be found. This thread is filled with good info and will be helpful to many in the community.

I just went to Advance auto and searched 1987 and the Dayco 71756 is the only lower hose offered. When I did my google searches,I was not year specific and never found the correct hose except for the silicone from G Body. I just did a Google search for 1987 Buick Grand National lower radiator hose and was never offered the correct hose.

It's been YEARS since I replaced my lower hose so I'm going from memory....

It seems like I cut a pretty good chuck off the water pump end to let the hose lay where it wants to be. I might have taken a small amount off the radiator side as well.

No idea what hose number I have, but I know it's a parts store unit.

Great news!

I received a call from the Dayco project manager I had been speaking with. They have updated their internal database or e-catalog to include the 86 turbo Buicks in the application for the 71756 lower radiator hose. Doug noted that the database updates are usually pushed out monthly. So probably next month, a search for the lower radiator hose for an 86 TB will have the 71756 as an option on Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, RockAuto, etc. O'Reilly only listed the Gates hose for hot air and NA applications anyway, so O'Reillys is a strike out.

I sent the information to Dennis Kirban. He replied he's looking into what I sent him and this thread. I'll reach out to Highway Stars next - their warehouse move may make contact difficult, but I'll share the same info with Glen and Leslie as well.

I'm trying to figure out how the lower radiator hose is different. The water pump outlet is at the same exact place on all 3.8 and 4.1 V6's. And all G bodies of this era have the radiator outlet on the bottom of the PS tank.

I'm trying to figure out how the lower radiator hose is different. The water pump outlet is at the same exact place on all 3.8 and 4.1 V6's. And all G bodies of this era have the radiator outlet on the bottom of the PS tank.

the hose for the hot air and NA cars (dayco 71083), has an additional offset bend a couple of inches before the water pump connection. check out the images I uploaded in post 1 and post 36. the hot air hose is also 4 inches longer in displacement depth so it will hit the oil cooler hoses and header on the 86-87 turbo buicks. the factory engine oil cooler was only on 86-87 turbo buicks.

Check out the pic in post 29. where would 4 more inches of hose depth fit? It doesn't.

If you follow the wrongly listed hose (not 71756) from the water pump connection to the radiator you will find that it doesn't go straight from the water pump to the frame. It first makes a turn toward the header and therefore will end up sitting against the header. The 71756 goes straight toward the frame which allows it to clear the header.

kirban 2 cents worth

we now carry the correct lower radiator hose actually we used to carry it then had to substitute other one years ago...but even on our website we list the proper dayco one with part number...

I got some due in later this week.

Other one must work in most applications as no one raised a fuss about it...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

several readers here emailed me.....on this issue...

I reached out to Highway Stars. Unfortunately, they are not interested in this topic.

Perhaps they will continue to sell the Gates 21211 lower radiator hose meant for hot air and NA applications for ALL 84-87 turbo buicks. It is misleading that their part description notes the 86-87 GM part # 25523616, states their hose is molded as original, but they picture and sell only the hot air hose.

I just replaced both top and bottom hoses , They came from AutoZone . I did have to wait a couple of days for them to come in but they fit fine . Keith

I just replaced both top and bottom hoses , They came from AutoZone . I did have to wait a couple of days for them to come in but they fit fine . Keith

Good to hear Keith. That's why I invested my time on this topic trying to get the correct information out to the turbo Buick community and help the turbo buick vendors with their parts offerings.

kirban 2 cents worth

On a similar topic......

I got Richard Clark working on bottling 1986 and 1987 air so we can blow it into the interiors of our cars.....on a more serious note....

what about correct wiper blades? Anyone figure out where to obtain them? they are solid not have holes not rubber looking.....talking 1986-1987 style....

Seems to be another piece of the puzzle not solved yet.

I would score pretty high on a test on these cars........

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

On a similar topic......

I got Richard Clark working on bottling 1986 and 1987 air so we can blow it into the interiors of our cars.....on a more serious note....

what about correct wiper blades? Anyone figure out where to obtain them? they are solid not have holes not rubber looking.....talking 1986-1987 style....

Seems to be another piece of the puzzle not solved yet.

I would score pretty high on a test on these cars........

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis,
In 2011 I replaced mine for the TSA BG concourse event. I believe I found them at CARS, or Hiighway Stars.
They are the solid metal design I can send you a photo if you want?

Kirban Update

go ahead post photo of the solid metal wiper blades may be same ones on my car I will try cars inc as we buy from them. I have zero contact with Highway.

I know they are primitive compared to todays wiper blades.

I get used arms powder coated black when I find them. weird as left & rite are different way they attach.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

It is possible I purchased these from you in 2011? I found some AC Delco 82182 blades on Rock Auto that have the same design in there photo, but I don't know if the photo is accurate?
image.jpeg